Date of birth: 8/4/22. Place: New Haven, CT
Early education: Keene, NH . Undergraduate education: Yale University, BS, 1944.
Medical education: Yale University School of Medicine, M.D. 1946 (acceleration under Army program during WW ii).
Internship and Residency: In general surgery, Yale-New Haven Hospital completed in 1953. Certified, Am Board of Surgery, 1953.
Instructor, Assistant Professor and Associate Professor, Dept. of Surgery,
Yale University School of Medicine, 1953-1967.
Chief, Dept., of Head and Neck Surgery, Roswell Park Cancer Institute,
Buffalo, NY, 1967-1996.
Research Professor, Dept. of Surgery, State University of NY at Buffalo,
1967-1996. Emeritus rank at present.
- Highest grade in anatomy exam in US , National Board of Medical Examiners, 1944
- Markle Scholar in Medicine, 1953-1958.
- Presidency, Society of Head and Neck Surgeons, 1977.
- Hayes Martin Memorial Lecturer, Society of Head and Neck Surgeons, 1986.
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honorary Medical Society and Sigma Xi.
- M.D. degree, Yale University, 1946, Cum Laude.
- Selected as one of best doctors in head and neck surgery in the northeast by White-Woodward survey, 1996.
Active duty, September 1947 to August 1949. Assistant Chief of Surgical Service, Army Station Hospital, Camp Kilmer, New Jersey.
|Society of University Surgeons||New England Surgical Society|
|Society of Head and Neck Surgeons||American College of Surgeons|
|Society of Surgical Oncology||Am. Assoc. for the History of Medicine|
|American Head and Neck Society|
Publications: Five books and approximately 150 articles in periodicals.
Canoeing, windsurfing, sailing, tennis, alternative medicine (wheat vs. chaff project), history of medicine, moderating a discussion group at Unitarian Church.
Medical service in Peru, 1962. Medical site visit in Nicaragua in 1965. Short oral cancer surveys in India, Pakistan and Ceylon, 1966 & 1968. Visiting professorship, Republic of South Africa.
Member, founding board of Hospice Buffalo, Inc, 1975-80
Family: Wife, Charlotte Newsom Shedd, MN from Yale, Co-founder of Hospice Buffalo (Died, April 2007). Four children. Six grandchildren. One great-grandchild.
Lecture: “A Historical Perspective on Surgical Speech Rehabilitation” »
by Donald P. Shedd, M.D.