Practice Contact Information
Alex Senchenkov, MD, FACS
6310 Health Park Way, Suite 110
Areas of Interest in Head and Neck Surgery
Endocrine Surgery, Head and Neck Surgeon, Reconstructive Head & Neck Surgery
Dr. Alex Senchenkov is a board-certified plastic surgeon with experience and fellowship training in Microsurgery and Head & Neck Surgical Oncology. He offers full spectrum of head and reconstructive plastic surgery procedures:
1) Surgical care head and neck cancer patients that includes diagnostic, ablative, reconstructive, and microsurgical procedures;
2) Thyroid and parathyroid surgery including minimally invasive video-assisted surgery, diagnostic ultrasonography, and ultrasound-guided needle biopsies;
3) Adult craniofacial surgery and facial fractures;
6) Surgical treatment of musculoskeletal sarcoma and malignant melanoma as well as other skin and soft tissue tumors.
Dr. Senchenkov earned his medical degree with honors from the Ukrainian State Medical University in Kiev, Ukraine. After his graduation, he worked as a staff surgical oncologist in the Division of Musculoskeletal Oncology (Sarcoma & Melanoma) at the Kiev Research Institute of Oncology.
In the U.S., Dr. Senchenkov worked as a research associate at John Wayne Cancer Institute, Santa Monica, CA. He completed Surgery Residency at the Medical College of Ohio at Toledo, followed by three fellowships: Plastic Surgery at Mayo Clinic – Rochester, Microsurgery at University of Pittsburgh, and Head & Neck Surgical Oncology at the University of Cincinnati. He served as a staff surgeon at Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN and an associate professor at The University of Tennessee.
Dr. Senchenkov is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and American Board of Surgery. He offers personalized high-quality services to the patients in Sarasota and Bradenton, FL
ALL MAJOR INSURANCES ARE ACCEPTED
- Senchenkov A Microvascular reconstruction of the scalp and calvarial defects: reconstructive and aesthetic considerations. PRS-Global (accepted)
- Senchenkov A Artery-only replantation of an amputated half of the ear, J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg (submitted).
- Kohorst JJ, Baum, CL, Otley CC, Roenigk RK, Hagen C, Pemberton JH, Dozois EJ, Tran NV, Senchenkov A, Woods JE, Davis MD. Operative Treatment of 895 Cases of Hidradenitis Suppurativa in 588 Consecutive Patients. Dermatologic Surg 2016 Sept;42(9):1030-40
- Senchenkov A, Lemaine V, and Tran NV. Management of perioperative microvascular thrombotic complications – the use of multiagent anticoagulation algorithm in 395 consecutive free flaps. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg 2015 Sep;68(9):1293-303
- Senchenkov A and Lemaine V Optimizing shape and projection in low-volume bilateral microvascular breast reconstruction – technical tips J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 2015 Sep;68(9):1313-4.
- Senchenkov A. Small-incision cephalic vein transposition technique with surgeon-performed intraoperative ultrasound mapping. Plast Reconstr Surg 135(3):651e-2e, 2015
- Senchenkov A. Management of chronic irradiated postmastectomy seromas with the microvascular breast reconstruction. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 68(3):e59-60, 2015
- Saksena A, Aho J, Winocour S, Maricevich R, Senchenkov A, Rose P, Leibovich B, Zietlow S, Saint-Cyr M. Combination of a fillet flap, free tissue transfer, and autologous tissue grafts in pelvic reconstruction following retroperitoneal sarcoma: A case report. Microsurgery 35(4):320-3, 2015
- Senchenkov A, Agag RL, Lee J, Patel A, and Valerio IL. Management of anterolateral free flap donor site defects with a continuous external tissue expander. Microsurgery 35:290–294, 2015
- Senchenkov A. The use of continuous external tissue expander for direct closure of anterolateral thigh free flap donor sites. J Plast Reconstr Aesthet Surg. 67(12):1766-7, 2014
- Senchenkov A. Angioembolization of a leaking radial artery pseudoaneurysm in a radial forearm free flap. Head & Neck 37(2):E12-4, 2013
- Senchenkov A. Reconstruction of the radial forearm donor site defects with Integra and staged full thickness skin graft. Plast Reconstr Surg 132(5):884e-886e, 2013
- Senchenkov A and Moran SL. Merkel cell carcinoma: diagnosis, management, and outcomes Plast Reconstr Surg 131(5):771-778e, 2013
- Senchenkov A and Jacobson SR. Microvascular salvage of the thrombosed total ear replant. Microsurgery, 33(5):396-400, 2013
- Senchenkov A and Sim FH, The use of ovarian vessels for microvascular tissue transfer in lower extremity limb salvage. Microsurgery 33(2):148-51, 2013.
- Senchenkov A, Moran SL, Petty PM, Knoetgen J, Tran NV, Clay RP, Bite U, Johnson CH, Barnes SA, and Sim FH. Soft tissue reconstruction of the external hemipelvectomy defects. Plast Reconstr Surg 124(1):144-55, 2009.
- Senchenkov A, Moran SL, Petty PM, Knoetgen J, Clay RP, Bite U, Barnes SA, and Sim FH. Predictors of wound complications and outcomes of external hemipelvectomy wounds: account of 160 consecutive cases. Ann Surg Onc 15(1):355-63, 2009
- Senchenkov A, Petty PM, Knoetgen J, Moran SL, Johnson CH, and Clay RP. Outcomes of skin graft reconstructions with the use of Vacuum Assisted Closure (VAC®) dressing for irradiated extremity sarcoma defects World J Surg Onc 5(1):138, 2007
- Senchenkov A, Barnes SA, and Moran SL. Predictors of survival and recurrence in the surgical treatment of Merkel cell carcinoma of the extremities. J Surg Oncol 95(3):229-34, 2007.
- Senchenkov A and Clay RP. Vacuum Assisted Closure (VAC®) dressing as a temporary closure for brachytherapy afterloading catheters. Ann Plast Surg 57(3):355, 2006.
- Senchenkov A, Knoetgen J, Chrouser KL, and Nehra A. Vacuum Assisted Closure (VAC) dressing for skin graft application to the penile skin defects. Urology 67(2):416-9, 2006.
- Senchenkov A and Clay RP. Endoscopic removal of the lateral eyebrow dermoid cysts in pediatric patients. Ann Plast Surg. 55(6):595-598, 2005.
- Senchenkov A, Kriegel A, Staren ED, and Allison DC. Use of intraoperative ultrasound in excision of schwannomatosis of the thigh. J Clin Ultrasound. 33(7): 360-363, 2005.
- Senchenkov A and Barone FR. Node-positive transcranial recurrent melanoma: Is an aggressive resection warranted? Ann Plast Surg 54(5): 557-561, 2005.
- Senchenkov A and Staren, ED. Ultrasound in head and neck surgery: thyroid, parathyroid, and cervical lymph nodes. Surg Clin North Am 84(4): 973-1000, 2004.
- Senchenkov A, Thomford NR, and Barone FR. Reconstruction of an extensive thigh defect with the paraumbilical TRAM flap. Ann Plast Surg 51(1): 91-96, 2003.
- Senchenkov A, Werning JW, Staren ED. Radiographic assessment of the infiltrating retropharyngeal lipoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 125(6): 658-660, 2001.
- Senchenkov A, Han TY, Wang H, Frankel AE, Kottke TJ, Kaufmann SH, and Cabot MC. Enhanced ceramide generation and induction of apoptosis in human leukemia cells exposed to DT388-granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor (GM-CSF), a truncated diphtheria toxin fused to human GM-CSF. Blood 98(6):1927-1934, 2001.
- Senchenkov A, Litvak DA, and Cabot MC. Targeting ceramide metabolism – a strategy for overcoming drug resistance. J Natl Cancer Inst 93: 347-357, 2001.
- Lucci A, Giuliano AE, Han TY, Dinur T, Liu YY, Senchenkov A, and Cabot MC. Ceramide toxicity and metabolism differ in wild-type and multidrug-resistant cancer cells. Int J Oncol 15: 535-40, 1999.
- Senchenkov A. Fundamentals of Microsurgical Scalp and Skull Reconstruction, in N. Broer, M. Ninkovic (eds.), Textbook of Reconstructive and Aesthetic Microsurgery Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019 (in press)
- Dreifuss SE, Solari MG, Manders EK, and Senchenkov A. Scalp reconstruction: Role of Tissue Expansion and Flap Reconstruction, Chapter 164, in E Myers & C Snyderman Operative Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, 3rd edition, vol. 2, Elsevier, pp 1149-58, 2018
- Macisaac Z, Solari MG, Manders EK, and Senchenkov A. Pectoralis major musculocutaneous flap in head and neck surgery, Chapter 170, in E Myers & C Snyderman Operative Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery, 3rd edition, vol. 2, Elsevier, pp 1186-90, 2018
- Senchenkov A. Salivary gland tumors in S. Lin and J. Hijjawi Plastic Surgery Pearls of Wisdom. 3rd ed., Boston: McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing, pp 491-508, 2016
- Senchenkov A and Woods JE. Cranial nerve VII: Facial nerve and facial function in JA Vilensky, W Robertson and CA Suarez-Quian The Clinical Anatomy of the Cranial Nerves: The Nerves of “On Old Olympus Towering Top”. Oxford: John Wiley & Sons Inc (US)pp 261-264, 2015
- Senchenkov A. Tumors of the salivary glands in S. Lin and J. Hijjawi Plastic Surgery Pearls of Wisdom. 2nd ed., Boston: McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing, pp 427-438, 2011.
- Senchenkov A and Johnson CH. Reconstructive surgery of the chest and abdominal wall in S. Lin and J. Hijjawi Plastic Surgery Pearls of Wisdom. 2nd ed., Boston: McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing, pp 705-716, 2011.
- Burkart CM, Senchenkov A, and Wilson KM. Laryngeal carcinoma in ML Pensak Otolaryngology Cases – The University of Cincinnati Clinical Portfolio. Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, pp. 127-130, 2010.
- Senchenkov A and Wilson KM. Tonsillar carcinoma. in ML Pensak Otolaryngology Cases – The University of Cincinnati Clinical Portfolio. Thieme Medical Publishers, New York, pp. 115-119, 2010.
- Senchenkov A, Valerio IL, and Manders EK. Grafts in B Guyuron, E Eriksson, JA Pershing, KC Chung, J Disa, A Gosain, B Kinney, and JP Rubin Plastic Surgery: Indications and Practice. Philadelphia: Saunders, pp 95-104, 2009.
- Senchenkov A. and Manders EK Tissue expansion in J. Weinzweig Plastic Surgery Secrets, 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Mosby – Elsevier Health Sciences, pp 19-23 2010.
- Senchenkov A, Ester R, Sim FH, and Moran SL. Soft Tissues Coverage of the Pelvis and Sacrum: hemipelvectomy and pedicled flap coverage in WP Cooney III and SL Moran Master Techniques in Orthopaedic Surgery: Soft Tissue Surgery. 1st ed., Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, pp 449-470, 2008.
- Senchenkov A, Clay RP. Vacuum-Assisted Closure (VAC) dressing as a temporary coverage for brachytherapy afterloading catheters. Ann Plast Surg. Sep; 57(3):355, 2006.
- Senchenkov A. Tumors of the salivary glands in S. Lin and J. Hijjawi Plastic Surgery Pearls of Wisdom. 1st ed., Boston: McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing, pp 323-330, 2005.
- Senchenkov A and Johnson CH. Reconstructive surgery of the chest and abdominal wall in S. Lin and J. Hijjawi Plastic Surgery Pearls of Wisdom. 1st ed., Boston: McGraw-Hill Medical Publishing, pp 493-502, 2005.
- Senchenkov A and Staren ED. Head and neck ultrasound in J. Machi and ED Staren Ultrasound for the Surgeon. 2nd ed., Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, pp 115-142, 2005.
- Staren Ed, Senchenkov A. Is surgical excision necessary for atypical ductal hyperplasia of the breast diagnosed by Mammotome? Women’s Oncol Rev. 2001; 1:98-99.
- Hamoudeh Z, Senchenkov A. Patient Satisfaction Following Combined Endoscopic Brow-Lift and Upper Blepharoplasty 54th Annual Meeting of the Midwestern Association of Plastic Surgeons (2015), Chicago, IL; 05/2015, Ann Plast Surg 74(3):S175, 2015
- Hamoudeh Z, Senchenkov A. Patient satisfaction following combined endoscopic browlift and upper blepharoplasty for visual field obstruction. ASAPS Meeting, January 29-31, 2015
- Martinez-Jorge J, Batdorf NJ, Lovely JK, Ballman K, Fernandez SGS, Mubang R, Grubbs PL, Bungum LD, Booth-Kowakczyk AL, Senchenkov A, Carlsen BT, Saint-Cyr M, Lemaine V. Enhanced recovery protocol after microsurgical breast reconstruction: A cohort study. Midwest Association of Plastic Surgery Meeting, May 10, 2014
- Al-Mufarrej F, Maricevich R, Senchenkov A, Mardini S. Anesthesia mumps in Plastic Surgery: Report of three cases and systematic review of literature. 49th Brazilian Congress of Plastic Surgery, Sao Paulo, Brazil. September 6, 2012.
- Nehra A, Senchenkov A, Knoetgen J, Chrouser KL. Penile skin graft reconstruction: application of a vacuum-assisted closure (VAC) (Abstract 457). J Urol. 2006 Apr; 175(4 Suppl):148.
- Cabot MC, Giuliano AE, Han TY, Liu YY, Senchenkov A. The impact of toremifene, a novel antiestrogen, and adriamycin on ceramide metabolism and modulation of multidrug resistance. Breast Cancer Research and Treatment. 1998; 50:291.
- education booklets and Videos
- Flap Surgery: Pressure Ulcers. Woodward Lips, Mayo Patient Education Center, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Rochester, Minnesota.
- Head & Neck Oncologic and Reconstructive Surgery. Mayo Clinic Department of Nursing Orientation Video, Saint Marys Hospital, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, Rochester, Minnesota.