Practice Contact Information
Hotel Dieu de France Hospital, Saint Joseph University
Alfred Naccache Boulevard
Phone: +961 1 604000, ext. 9612
Areas of Interest in Head and Neck Surgery
Endocrine Surgery, Head and Neck Research, Head and Neck Surgeon, Reconstructive Head & Neck Surgery
Dr. Antoine Melkane is currently an Assistant Professor in the Department of Otolaryngology at the Saint Joseph University School of Medicine.
Dr. Melkane graduated from the Saint Joseph University School of Medicine, Beirut, Lebanon in 2004. After completing his residency in Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery at the Hotel Dieu de France University Hospital, Beirut, Lebanon (2004-2009), he underwent fellowship training in Head and Neck Cancer Surgery at the Gustave Roussy Institute, Paris XI University, Villejuif, France (2009-2012), then at the Karmanos Cancer Institute, Wayne State University, MI, USA (2012-2013).
Dr. Melkane joined the faculty at the Hotel Dieu de France University Hospital in 2014 and is actively involved in the care of patients with head and neck cancers, developing both oncologic and reconstructive surgeries.
Dr. Melkane holds a Master of Surgical Science from the Paris XI University, Paris, France (2012). His main research interests involve the implication of Human Papillomavirus in oropharyngeal cancers, the role of sentinel node biopsy in early oral cancers, and the application of confocal laser endomicroscopy in head and neck cancers.
- Cohen DS, Low GM, Melkane AE, Mutchnick SA, Waxman JA, Patel S, Shkoukani MA, Lin HS. Establishing a danger zone: An anatomic study of the lingual artery in base of tongue surgery. 2017 Jan; 127(1): 110-115.
- Mhawej R, Richa T, Melkane AE. Benign lymphoepithelial cyst of unusual location: a case report. Acta Oto-Laryngologica Case Reports. 2016 Nov; 1(1): 110-112.
- Mirghani H, Casiraghi O, Guerlain J, Amen F, He MX, Ma XJ, Luo Y, Mourareau C, Drusch F, Lakdhar AB, Melkane A, St Guily L, Badoual C, Scoazec JY, Borget I, Aupérin A, Dalstein V, Vielh P. Diagnosis of HPV driven oropharyngeal cancers: Comparing p16 based algorithms with the RNAscope HPV-test. Oral Oncol. 2016 Nov; 62: 101-108.
- Hurst NJ, Dominello M, Dyson G, Jaratli H, Sharma M, Ahmed Y, Melkane AE, Rose CT, Jacobs JR, Giorgadze T, Kim H. Intratumoral lymphatic vessel density as a predictor of progression-free and overall survival in locally advanced laryngeal/hypopharyngeal cancer. Head Neck. 2016 Apr; 38 Suppl 1: E417-20.
- Lacroix L, Post S, Valent A, Melkane AE, Lefebvre AM, Egile C, Castell C, Saulnier P, Goulaouic H, Temam S. MET genetic abnormalities unreliable for patient selection for therapeutic intervention in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. PLoS One. 2014 Jan 17; 9(1): e84319.
- Mirghani H, Amen F, Moreau F, Guigay J, Ferchiou M, Melkane AE, Hartl DM, Lacau St Guily J. Human papilloma virus testing in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma: what the clinician should know. Oral Oncol. 2014 Jan; 50(1): 1-9.
- Melkane AE, Mirghani H, Auperin A, Saulnier P, Lacroix L, Vielh P, Casiraghi O, Griscelli F, Temam S. HPV-related oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas: a comparison between three diagnostic approaches. Am J Otolaryngol. 2014 Jan-Feb; 35(1): 25-32.
- Melkane AE, Auperin A, Saulnier P, Lacroix L, Vielh P, Casiraghi O, Msakni I, Drusch F, Temam S. Human papillomavirus prevalence and prognostic implication in oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinomas. Head Neck. 2014 Feb; 36(2): 257-65.
- Melkane AE, Mamelle G, Wycisk G, Temam S, Janot F, Casiraghi O, Lumbroso J. Sentinel node biopsy in early oral squamous cell carcinomas: a ten-year experience. 2012 Aug; 122(8): 1782-8.
- Aouad R, Matar N, Melkane A, Nassar M, Almoutran H, Haddad A. Sulfuric acid ingestion. J Trauma. 2011 May; 70(5): E98.
- Melkane AE, Matar N, Haddad A, Zoghbi A. Suicidal hanging attempt: poor symptoms for a potentially lethal injury. J Trauma. 2010 Oct; 69(4): E36.
- Aouad R, Melkane A, Rassi S. Lemierre’s syndrome: unusual cause and presentation. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2010 May; 26(5): 376-7.
- Melkane AE, Matar NE, Haddad AC, Nassar MN, Almoutran HG, Rohayem Z, Daher M, Chalouhy G, Dabar G. Management of post-intubation tracheal stenosis: appropriate indications make outcome differences. 2010; 79(5): 395-401.
- Abboud B, Sleilaty G, Braidy C, Melkane A, Nasr F. Thyroidectomy in patients at high-risk of bleeding: can it be safely performed? Minerva Chir. 2009 Dec; 64(6): 565-71.
- Rassi SJ, Melkane AE, Rizk HG, Dahoui HA. Sinonasal mucormycosis in immunocompromised pediatric patients. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2009 Dec;31(12): 907-10.
- Matar NE, Rassi SJ, Melkane AE, Haddad AC. Lateral sinus thrombosis in the pediatric population: multiple presentations for a potentially lethal disease. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2009 Oct; 25(10): 681-3.
- Razfar A, Walvekar R, Melkane A, Johnson J, Myers E. Incidence and patterns of regional metastasis in early oral squamous cell cancers: feasibility of submandibular gland preservation. Head Neck. 2009 Dec; 31(12): 1619-23.