Practice Contact Information
University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
4301 W. Markham St. #543
Areas of surgical specialization in Head and Neck Surgery
Endocrine Surgery, Head and Neck Surgeon
Dr. Brendan C. Stack, Jr., M.D., FACS, FACE attended Brigham Young University and graduated AOA and Sigma Xi from Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, VA in 1989. Dr. Stack was trained in Surgery for two years and then Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery for four years at the University of South Florida, Tampa, Florida. Dr. Stack completed a Fellowship in Head and Neck Oncology and Reconstruction accredited by the Joint Council for Approval of Advanced training in Head and Neck Oncologic Surgery in 1997 at the University of Washington, Seattle. While in Seattle, Dr. Stack also completed a post-doctoral fellowship in molecular biology at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, Seattle and served as an Instructor at the University of Washington School of Medicine and on the medical staff of the Seattle VA Medical Center.
Currently, Dr. Stack is Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery at the University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences, Little Rock, AR. Dr. Stack has authored over 200 peer-reviewed papers, chapters, and internet articles. Dr. Stack was co-editor of Medical and Surgical Treatment of Parathyroid Diseases – An evidence-based approach, Cham Switzerland: Springer International Publishing. 2016. He has presented at over 350 meetings regionally, nationally, and internationally. He collaborates on grants from the NIH, NSF and other public and private organizations. Dr. Stack has appeared on, or been cited by, local and national media numerous times. He serves on the editorial boards of Head and Neck and the ENT journal and just completed a term with Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. Dr. Stack also reviews for several journals including the journal listed previously and Thyroid, Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery, and Laryngoscope among others. He has served on review panels for the National Institutes of Health and review agencies for the nations of Singapore, Italy, and England. Dr. Stack is listed in “Best Doctors” of America (since 2006), “Guide to America’s Top Surgeons” (since 2004), “Guide to America’s Top Physicians” (since 2009), Castle and Connolly Top Doctors and Cancer Specialists (since 2014), and “Top Thyroid Doctors” (since 2004).
His research interests include early detection of head and neck cancer with proteomics, novel cancer biochemotherapy, imaging of sub-clinical disease with positron emission tomography (PET), outcomes and medical economics research related to head, neck, and thyroid cancer, and medical device development in the areas of radioguided surgery and free tissue transfer perfusion monitoring. Dr. Stack’s clinical interests include endocrine surgery for the head and neck and minimally invasive/robotic head and neck surgery.
I was national Co-PI of ECOG/ACRIN 6685 which closed 12/31/2016. Data analysis is ongoing.
- Stack BC Jr, Stack BC Sr: Temporomandibular joint disorders. Am Fam Physician 1992;46(1):143-50.
- Stack BC Jr, Ridley MB: Cricoarytenoid joint dislocation. Am J Otolaryngology 1994;15(1):68-73.
- Stack BC Jr, Ridley MB: Spontaneous subcutaneous emphysema. Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 1994;110(3):318-323.
- Stack BC Jr, Ridley MB: Granulocytic sarcoma of the mandible. Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 1994;110(6):591-594.
- Stack BC Jr, Farrior JB: Missile injuries to the temporal bone. Southern Medical Journal 1995;88(1):72-78.
- Stack BC Jr, Klotch DW, Hubbell DS: Costal osteomyelitis as a complication of pectoral major myocutaneous flap. Am J Otolaryngology 1995;16(1):77-79.
- Stack BC Jr, Klotch DW: Mucocele of the pterygomaxillary space. Annals of Otology, Rhinology, and Laryngology 1995;104:246-247.
- Stack BC Jr, Ridley MB: Epiglottic abscess in an adult. Head and Neck Surgery 1995;17:263-265.
- Stack BC Jr, Futran ND, Ridley MB, Schultz S, Sillman JS: Signal averaging and waveform analysis of laser Doppler flowmetry monitoring of porcine myocutaneous flaps. Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 1995;113(5):550-557.
- Hunt J, Stack BC Jr, Futran ND, Endicott JN: Microcystic adnexal carcinoma involving the external auditory canal. Archives of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 1995;121(12):1430-1433.
- Futran ND, Stack BC Jr : Dual venous drainage of the radial forearm free flap. Am J Otolaryngology 1996;17(2):112-117.
- Stack BC Jr, Ridley MB, Endicott JN: Synchronous squamous cell and retriculoendothelial malignancies of the head and neck. Am J Otolaryngology 1996;17(3):178-183.
- Stack BC Jr, Hall PJ, Perez I, Goodman AL: C02 laser excision of lupus pernio of the face. Am J Otolaryngology 1996;17(4):260-263.
- Stack BC Jr, Greene JN, Hubbell DS, Ridley MB: Tracheoesophageal fistula and sinusitis from invasive aspergillosis. Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 1997;116(1):116-119.
- Tsue TT, Desyantnikova SS, Deleyiannis FWB, Futran ND, Stack BC Jr, Weymuller EA, Glenn MG: Comparison of cost and function in reconstruction of the posterior oral cavity and oropharynx: free versus pedicled soft tissue transfer. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1997;123:731-737.
- Futran ND, Stack BC Jr, Payne LP: Preoperative color flow Doppler assessment of the lower extremity in fibula free flap reconstruction. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 1997;117:660-3.
- Hollenbeak CS, Kokoska MS, Stack, Jr. BC. The cost of converting to digital photography. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery 2000; 2:122-123.
- Futran ND, Stack, Jr. BC., Hollenbeak CS, Scharf JE. Green Light photoplethysmography and fast Fourier analysis of free tissue transfers. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2000; 126:659-662.
- Dalsaso TA, Dunphy FR, Martin DS, Lowe VJ, Boyd JH, Stack BC Jr.: FDG-PET and CT in evaluation of chemotherapy in advanced head and neck cancer. Clinical Positron Imaging 2000:3(1)1-5.
- Hardeman S, Cox AJ III, Johnson A, Stack BC Jr. Use of the Endostitch device for closure of pharyngeal traumatic lacerations. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2000;122(6):942.
- Dunphy FR, Dunleavy TL, Harrison BR, Trinkaus KM, Kim HJ, Stack BC Jr., Needles B, Boyd JH. Induction Paclitaxel and Carboplatin for patients with head and neck cancer: Analysis of 62 patients treated between 1994 and 1999. Cancer 2001;91:940-8.
- Kokoska M, Olson GT, Kelemen P, Fosko S, Lowe VJ, Dunphy F, Stack, Jr. BC. The use of lymphoscintigraphy and PET in the management of head and neck melanoma. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2001;125:213-20.
- Lowe VJ, Hollenbeak CS, Stack, Jr. BC. Decision tree analysis in the treatment of the N0 neck. Cancer 2001;92:2341-8.
- Citardi MJ, Herrmann B, Hollenbeak C, Stack BC, Cooper M, Bucholz RD. Comparison of scientific calipers and computer-enabled CT review for the measurement of skull base and craniomaxillofacial dimensions. Skull Base Surgery: An Interdisciplinary Approach. 2001; 11:5-119.
- Hollenbeak CS, Wasser TS, Murphy, Jr. RX, Kleinman LC, Stack, Jr BC. Statistical inference in facial plastic surgery: Perspectives and alternatives. Facial Plastic Surgery 2002; 18(2):87-93.
- Dunphy FR, Stack BC Jr, Boyd JH, Dunleavy TL, Kim HJ, Dunphy CH. Microvessel density in advanced head and neck squamous cell carcinoma before and after chemotherapy. Anticancer Research 2002;22(3):1755-8.
- Lowe VJ, Stack BC, Jr. Head and neck cancer and esophageal cancer imaging, Seminars in Roentgenology 2002 Apr;37(2):140-50.
- Vora N, Fedok F, Stack, Jr. BC. Trauma induced thyroid storm. ENT Journal 2002; 81(8):570-4.
- Franzese C, Stack, Jr. BC. Amiodarone-induced thyrotoxicosis: A Case for Surgical Management. American Journal of Otolaryngology 2002; 23(6):358-61. (see editorial comments, pg. 62-3)
- Hardeman S, Collins B, Solomon H, Stack BC Jr. Metastatic cholangiocarcinoma to the neck. ENT Journal 2002; 81(11):776-8. (see editorial)
- Stack, Jr. BC. Lymphoscintigraphy and sentinel lymph node biopsy techniques in cutaneous melanoma. Facial Plastic Surgery Clinics of North America 2003;11(1):61-7.
- McLaughlin PJ, Stack, Jr. BC., Levin RJ, Fedok F, Zagon IS. Defects in the OGF receptor (OGFr) in human squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer 2003;97:1701-10.
- Stack, Jr. BC, Futran NF, Zang B, Scharf JE. Initial experience with PDA-based reflectance photoplethysmography for free tissue transfer monitoring. Annals of Plastic Surgery 2003;51(2):136-40.
- Hardeman S, Citardi MJ, Stack , Jr. BC, Kokoska MS. Computer aided reduction of zygomatic fractures. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery 2003;5(5):434-6.
- Franzese CB, Stack, Jr. BC. Surgical Management of Amiodarone-Induced Thyrotoxicosis. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2003;129(5):565-570.
- McLaughlin PJ, Stack, Jr. BC, Braine KM, Ruda JD, Zagon IS. Opioid Growth Factor (OGF) inhibition of a human squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck in nude mice: Dependency on the route of administration. International J. Oncology 2004;24(1)227-32.
- Wadsworth JT, Somers KD, Stack BC Jr., Cazares LH, Malik G, Adam B-L, Wright GL Jr., Semmes OJ. Identification of patients with head and neck cancer using serum protein profiles. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2004; 130;98-104.
- Tipnis SV, Nagarkar VV, Shestakova I, Gaysinskiy V, Entine G, Tornai MP, Stack, Jr. BC. Feasibility of a beta-gamma digital imaging probe for radioguided surgery. IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science 2004;51(1):110-6.
- Wadsworth JT, Somers KD, Cazares LH, Adam B-L, Stack BC Jr., Wright GL Jr., Semmes OJ. Serum protein profiles to identify head and neck cancer. Clinical Cancer Research 2004;10(5):1625-32.
- Lee W-J, Kapadia SB, Stack, Jr. BC. Adenoid cystic carcinoma presenting with widespread symptomatic bony metastasis. ENT Journal 2004;83(4):271-3.
- Stack, Jr. BC, Hansen JP, Ruda JM, Jaglowski J, Shvidler J, Hollenbeak CS. Fusaric Acid: A novel agent and mechanism to treat HNSCC. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2004;131:54-60.
- Ruda J, Hollenbeak C, Stack, Jr. BC. The Cost-Effectiveness of sestamibi scanning compared to bilateral neck exploration for the treatment of primary hyperparathyroidism. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America 2004;37(4):855-70.
- Lee W-J, Stack Jr., BC. Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America 2004;37(4):789-98.
- Beus KS, Stack Jr., BC. Parathyroid Carcinoma. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America 2004;37(4):845-54.
- Beus KS, Stack Jr., BC. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America 2004;37(4):941-8.
- Saleem TFM, Horwith M, Stack Jr., BC. Significance of primary hyperparathyroidism (pHPT) in the management of osteoporosis. Otolaryngologic Clinics of North America 2004;37(4):751-61.
- Lane RV, Lowe VJ, Stack, Jr. BC. Positron Emission Tomography for detection of Sinonasal Malignancies. The Journal of Applied Research in Clinical and Experimental Therapeutics 2004;4(2):222-7.
- Beus K, Stack, Jr. BC. Synchronous thyroid pathology in patients presenting with primary hyperparathyroidism. American Journal of Otolaryngology 2004;25(5):308-12.
- Preston TW, Lee W-J, Stack, Jr. BC. Report of an obstructive goiter and its surgical treatment during delivery. American Journal of Otolaryngology 2004;25(5): 364-7.
- Lee W-J, Keefer K, Hollenbeak CS, Stack, Jr BC. A new assay to screen for head and neck squamous cell carcinoma using the tumor marker metallopanstimulin (MPS). Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2004;131(4):466-71.
- Stack, Jr. BC, Hollenbeak CS, Lee C Jr., Dunphy FR, Hamilton PD. A prospective analysis of a metallopanstimulin serum test for the detection of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. World Journal of Surgical Oncology 2004;2(1):45.
- McLaughlin PJ, Jaglowski JR, Verderame MF, Stack, Jr. BC, Leure-duPree AE, Zagon IS. Enhanced growth inhibition of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck by combination therapy of paclitaxel and opioid growth factor. International Journal of Oncology 2005;26(3):809-16.
- Ruda J, Hollenbeak CS, Stack, Jr. BC. A Systematic Review of the Diagnosis and Treatment of Primary Hyperparathyroidism from 1995-2003. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2005;132(3):359-72.
- Jaglowski JR, Zagon IS, Stack, Jr. BC, Verderame MF, Leure-duPree AE, Manning JD, McLaughlin PJ. Opioid growth factor (OGF) enhances tumor growth inhibition and increases the survival of paclitaxel-treated mice with squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck. Cancer Chemotherapy and Pharmacology 2005 July;56(1):97-104. e-published 3/25/05.
- Ruggeiro F, Fraunhoffer L, Stack, Jr. BC. Metastatic thyroid carcinoma presenting as an acute abdomen. American Journal of Otolaryngology 2005;26(2):142-5.
- Mehta NY, Kapadia S, Boyer P, Hollenbeak CS, and Stack, Jr. BC. The relationship of Tc-99M sestamibi results to the histopathology of hyperfunctioning tissue: Implications for minimally invasive surgery? Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2005;131:493-8.
- Scurry WC, Beus KS, Hollenbeak CS, Stack Jr., BC. Perioperative parathyroid hormone assay for the diagnosis and management of post-thyroidectomy hypocalcemia. Laryngoscope 2005;115(8):1362-6.
- Dewan A, Kapadia S, Stack, Jr. BC. Is routine frozen section necessary for parathyroid surgery? Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2005;133(6):857-62.
- Ruggeiro F, Stack, Jr. BC. Thyroid lymphoma: a single institution’s experience. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2005;133(6):888-96.
- Scurry WC, Lamarre ED, Stack Jr., BC. Radioguided neck dissection in recurrent papillary thyroid carcinoma. American Journal of Otolaryngology 2006:27(1):61-3.
- Ruda J, Stack, Jr. BC, Hollenbeak CS. The cost-effectiveness of additional preoperative ultrasonography or sestamibi-SPECT in the sestamibi-negative patient with primary hyperparathyroidism? Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2006;132:46-53.
- Jaglowski JR, Stack Jr., BC. Enhanced growth inhibition of squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck by combination therapy of fusaric acid and paclitaxel. Cancer Letters 2006; 243(1):58-63, e-published January 10, 2006.
- Ruda JM, Beus KS, Hollenbeak CS, Wilson RP, Stack Jr., BC. The effect of oral fusaric acid (FA) on the growth of subcutaneously xenografted SCC-1 cells in a nude mouse model. Investigational New Drugs 2006; 24(5):377-81, e-published February 24, 2006.
- Khalid A, Hollenbeak CS, Quraishi SA, Fan CY, Stack, Jr. BC. Cost-effective of Iodine I131 scintigraphy, ultrasonography, and fine-needle aspiration biopsy in the initial diagnosis of solitary thyroid nodules. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2006;132:244-250.
- Lee W-J, Sheehan JM, Stack, Jr BC. Endoscopic extruded screw removal following anterior cervical disc fusion. Neurosurgery 2006;58(3):E589.
- Khalid A, Zang W, Qaraishi S, Stack Jr., BC. Color Doppler post-operative monitoring of free tissue transfers in head and neck surgery. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2006;134(4):635-8.
- Westbrook BJ, Scurry WC, Hudak D, McGinn J, Stack Jr., BC. Recurrent bilateral dacropyoceles in Wegner’s granulomatosis: A rhinologic perspective. American Journal of Otolaryngology 2006;27(6):409-12.
- Moyer MT, Stack Jr. BC, Mathew A. Successful recovery of esophageal patency with complete obstruction by using combined ante grade retrograde dilation procedure, needle knife, and EUS. Endosc. 2006;64(5):789-792.
- Hollenbeak CS, Stack Jr., BC, Dalley SM, Piccirillo JE. Using comorbidity indexes to predict costs for head and neck cancer. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery 2007;133:24-7.
- Clarke BM, Boyette J, Vural E, Suen JY, Anaisse EJ, Stack BC Jr. Bisphosphonates and jaw necrosis: The UAMS experience. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2007;136(3):396-400.
- Swick JT, Pott L, Stack Jr., BC. Assessment of recurrent laryngeal nerve during thyroid surgery with laryngeal mask airway. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2007;133:266-9.
- Chadwick JL, Khalid A, Wagner H, Stack Jr., BC. Teflon granuloma results in a false positive second primary on FDG-PET in a patient with history of nasopharyngeal cancer. J. Otolaryngology 2007;28(4):251-3.
- King D, Stack Jr., BC, Spring P, Walker R, Bodenner D. Thyroid carcinoma in fluorodeoxyglucose whole body positron emission tomography (PET) positive thyroid “incidentalomas”. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2007;137(3):400-4.
- Scurry WC, Stack Jr., BC. Metalloproteins and head and neck cancer. Head and Neck 2007; 29(12):1144-1155. e-published July 26, 2007.
- Hollenbeak CS, Lendel I, Beus KS, Ruda JM, Stack Jr., BC. The cost of screening for synchronous thyroid disease in patients presenting with primary hyperparathyroidism: A decision analysis. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2007;133:1013-1021.
- Terris DJ, Stack Jr. BC, Gourin CG. Contemporary parathyroidectomy: Exploiting technology. American J. Otolaryngology 2007;28(6):408-14.
- Vural E, Fan CY, Spring P, Stack Jr., BC, Kokoska M, Hanna EY, Suen JY. Perineural spread in squamous cell carcinoma of the larynx: histopathologic evaluation of the proximal stumps of superior and inferior laryngeal nerves. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2007;137(6):889-92.
- Linkov F, Stack Jr., BC, Yurkovetsky Z, Poveda S, Lokshin A, Ferris RL. Head and Neck Cancer: Multiplexed Luminex Approaches for Early Detection. Expert Opinion on Medical Diagnostics 2007;1(1):129-36.
- Freed GL, Cazares LH, Fichandler CE, Fuller TW, Sawyer CA, Stack BC Jr, Scharff S, Semmes OJ, Wadsworth JT, Drake RR. Differential Capture of Serum Proteins for Expression Profiling and Biomarker Discovery in Pre- and Post-treatment Head and Neck Cancer Samples. Laryngoscope 2008;118(1):61-8.
- Boyette JR, Seibert JW, Fan CY, Stack Jr. BC. Recurrent Chordoma Presenting as a Neck Mass: Metastasis versus Surgical Pathway Seeding. Ear, Nose & Throat Journal 2008;87(2):106-9.
- Wineland A, Siegel E, Chien C, Bodenner D, Stack Jr., BC. Blastomycosis of the thyroid. Endocrine Practice 2008;14(2):224-8.
- McElderry J, McKenney JK, Stack Jr., BC. High grade liposarcoma metastatic to the gingival mucosa: a case report and review of the literature. American J. Otolaryngology 2008;29(2):130-4.
- Wineland A, Stack Jr., BC. Modern methods to predict costs for the treatment and management of head and neck cancer patients: Examples of methods used in the current literature. Current Opinion of Otolaryngology 2008;16(2):113-6.
- Khalid AN, Quraishi SA, Hollenbeak CS, Stack Jr., BC. Fine needle aspiration biopsy vs. ultrasound-guided fine needle aspiration biopsy: Cost-effectiveness as a frontline diagnostic modality for solitary thyroid nodules. Head and Neck Surgery 2008; 30(8):1035-9. Apr 28, 2008 epub.
- Terris DJ and Stack Jr., BC. Current Technology in Thyroid Surgery. ORL-Otorhinolaryngology 2008;70:298-305.
- Stack Jr., BC, Norman J. Sialolithiasis and hyperparathyroidism. ORL-Otorhinolaryngology 2008;70:331-4.
- Wineland A, Siegel ER, Stack Jr., BC. Reexamining normative radiation data for radioguided parathyroid surgery. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2008;134(11):1209-13.
- Khalid A, Hollenbeak CS, Higgenbothen B, Stack Jr., BC. Reliability and accuracy of pre-operative Technetium 99m sestamibi imaging based on the discipline of the reader. Head and Neck 2009;31(5):576-82, Nov 20, 2008 epub.
- Faina L, Ferris RL, Yurkovetsky Z, Marrangoni A, Velikokhatnaya L, Bigbee W, Gooding W, Sirianni N, Nolan B, Winans M, Siegel ER, Lokshin A, Stack Jr., BC. Multiplexed Analysis of Serum Cytokines as Clinical Biomarkers in Patients with Benign and Malignant Thyroid Disease. Proteomics 2008;2(12):1575-85. Oct 10, 2008 epub.
- Hartzell L, Stack Jr., BC, Yuen J, Vural J, Suen JY. Free tissue transfer in arteriovenous malformations of the head and neck. Archives of Facial Plastic Surgery 2009;11(3)171-7.
- Stack Jr., BC. Minimally Invasive Radioguided Parathyroidectomy (MIRP). Operative Techniques in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2009; 20(1):54-9. Cover Article
- Carty SE, Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Duh QY, Mandel SJ, Kloos RT, Randolph GW, Stack BC, Steward DL, Terris DJ, Thompson GB, Tufano RP, Tuttle M, Udelsman R. Consensus Statement on the Terminology and Classification of Central Neck Dissection for Thyroid Cancer. Thyroid 2009; 19(11):1153-8. epub Oct 27.
- Redman C, Bodenner D, Stack Jr., BC. The role of vitamin D deficiency in persistent hyperparathyroidism following parathyroidectomy. Head and Neck 2009;31(9):1164-7.
- Dai Y, Pierson S, Dudney C, Stack Jr., BC. Extra-ribosomal Function of Metallopanstimulin-1: Reducing Paxillin in Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma and Inhibiting Tumor Growth. International Journal of Cancer 2010;126(3):611-9, epub July 29, 2009.
- Nazir SA, Westfall CT, Chacko JC, Phillips PH, Stack Jr., BC. Direct traumatic optic neuropathy: a remarkable case of recovery. American Journal of Otolaryngology 2010;31(3):193-4, March 27, 2009 epub.
- Nalley C, Wiebeck K, Stack Jr., BC. Intraoperative radiation exposure to the surgeon and staff associated with the use of F-18-FDG guided cancer surgery. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2010;142(2):281-3.
- Deschamps DR, Spencer HR, Kokoska MS, Spring PM, Vural E, Stack Jr., BC. Implications of head and neck cancer treatment failure in the neck. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2010; 142(5):722-7.
- Dudney WC, Bodenner D, Stack Jr., BC. Parathyroid Carcinoma. Otolaryngology Clinics of North America 2010;43(2):441-453.
- Stack Jr., BC, Siegel E, Bodenner D, Carr MM. A study of resident proficiency with thyroid surgery: Creation of a thyroid specific tool and comparison to a global assessment tool. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2010; 142(6):856-62.
- Ferguson S, Stack Jr., BC. Addition of a Telestrator for teaching during video based procedures. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2010; 143: 159-60.
- Contag SP, Golub JS, Teknos TN, Nussenbaum B, Arnold DJ, Stack, Jr. BC, Johns MJ III. Professional Burnout Among Microvascular and Reconstructive Free-Flap Head and Neck Surgeons in the United States. Archives of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery 2010;136(10):950-6. epub 8/16/2010.
105. Rothman IN, Middleton L, Stack, Jr. BC, Riggs AT, Bartel TB, Bodenner DL. The Incidence of Diffuse Fluorodeoxyglucose Positron Emission Tomography (PET) Uptake in the Thyroid of Patients with Autoimmune Thyroiditis. European Archives of Otolaryngology 2011;268(10):1501-1504, Feb 16 epub.
106. Dai YM, Pierson S, Dudney C, Zeng Y, MacLeod V, Shaughnessy J, Stack Jr., BC. Ribosomal protein metallopanstimulin-1 impairs multiple myeloma cell growth by inhibiting fibroblast growth factor receptor. Clinical Lymphoma, Myeloma, and Leukemia 2011;11(6):490-7. Sept 1 epub.
107.Lee C, Stack Jr., BC. Review of neuromonitoring in thyroid surgery. Expert Review of Anticancer Therapy 2011; 11(9):1417-27.
108. Shafirstein G, Friedman A, Siegel E, Moreno M, Bäumler W, Fan C-Y, Morehead K, Vural E, Stack, Jr BC, Suen JY. Utilizing 5-Aminolevulinic Acid and Pulsed Dye Laser for Photodynamic Therapy of Oral Leukoplakia. Archives of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2011; 137(11):1117-23.
109. Francis C, Nalley C, Fan CY, Bodenner DL, Stack Jr., BC. 18F-FDG PET and 131I Radioguided Surgical Management of Thyroid Cancer. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2012; 146(1):26-32. Epub Sep 27.
110. Collins AM, Bodenner DL, Chen C, Stone P, Stack Jr., BC. Delayed Treatment of Papillary Thyroid Carcinoma Arising from Struma Ovarii in a Patient with History of Bilateral Salpingo-Oophorectomy: A Case Report. Endocrine Practice 2012;18(1):e1-4, epub Nov. 8, 2011.
111. Stack, Jr. BC, Spencer HJ, Lee CM, Moore ER, Medvedev S, Hohmann S, Bodenner DL. Characteristics of inpatient thyroid surgery at US academic and affiliated medical centers. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2012;146(2):210-9. Epub Nov. 7.
112. Carling T, Carty SE, Ciarleglio M, Cooper DS, Doherty GM, Kim LT, Kloos RT, Mazzaferri Sr. EL, Peduzzi PN, Roman SA, Sippel RS, Stack Jr. BC, Steward DL, Sosa JA, Tufano RP, Tuttle RM, Udelsman R. Design and feasibility of a prospective randomized controlled trial of prophylactic central lymph node dissection for papillary thyroid carcinoma. Thyroid 2012;22(3):237-44, epub Feb 7.
113. Stack, Jr. BC*, Ferris, RL, Goldenberg D, Haymart M, Shaha, A, Sheth S, Sosa JA, Tufano, RP+. American Thyroid Association (ATA) Consensus Review of the Anatomy, Terminology and Rationale for Lateral Neck Dissection in Differentiated Thyroid Cancers. Thyroid 2012; 22(5): 501-8. Epub Jan 16.
114. Boeckmann J, Siegel E, Bartel T, Bodenner D, Stack Jr., BC. Can Pathology of a Thyroid Nodule be determined by PET? Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2012;146(6):906-12, epub Feb 3.
115. Stack, Jr. BC, Moore E, Spencer H, Medvedev S, Bodenner D. Outpatient parathyroid surgery data from the University Health System Consortium. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2012;147(3):438-43, epub April 24.
116. Stack Jr., BC, Moore E, Belcher R, Spencer HR, Bodenner DL. Relationships of Parathyroid Hormone, Gamma Counts, and Adenoma Weight in Minimally Invasive Parathyroidectomy. Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery 2012; 147(6):1035-40. Epub Aug 24.
117. Belcher R, Metrailer A, Bodenner DL, Stack Jr., BC. Characterization of Hyperparathyroidism in Youth and Adolescents: A literature review. International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology 2013;77(3): 318-22. Epub Jan 10.
118. Hoffmann JR, Chen C, Bodenner DL, Stack Jr., BC. Papillary Thyroid Cancer Arising from a Thyroglossal Duct Cyst. Journal of Medical Cases 2013;4(6):365-8.
119. Stack, Jr. BC, Moore E, Spencer H, Medvedev S, Bodenner D. Outpatient thyroid surgery data from the University Health System Consortium. Otolaryngology-HNS 2013;148(5):740-5, epub Feb 11.
120. Stack Jr., BC, Ye J, Bartel T, Shafirstein G, Chen C, Siegel ER, Singh B, Thacker S, Lowe V, Nagarkar V. Orthotopic VX rabbit tongue cancer: a model for FDG-PET imaging and radiosurgery in the head and neck. Head and Neck 2013; 35(8):1119-23. Epub Sept 19, 2012.
121. Singh B, Stack Jr., BC, Thacker S, Gaysinskiy V, Bartel T, Lowe V, Cool S, Entine G, Nagarkar V. A Hand-Held Imaging Beta Probe for FDG. Annals of Nuclear Medicine 2013; Apr;27(3):203-8. Epub Dec 11 2012.
122. Ye Jian, Montero M, Stack Jr., BC. Effects of Fusaric Acid treatment on HEp2 and Docetaxel-resistant HEp2 Laryngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Chemotherapy 2013;59:121-128. Epub Sept 15.
123. Frank RW, Middleton L, Stack, Jr. BC, Spencer HJ, Riggs AT, Bodenner DL. Conservative Management of Thyroglobulin Positive, Non-Localizable Thyroid Carcinoma. Head Neck Surgery 2014;36(2):155-7.
124. Balou M, McCullough GH, Aduli F, Brown D, Stack BC Jr, Snoddy P, Guidry T. Manometric Measures of Head Rotation and Chin Tuck in Healthy Participants. Dysphagia 2014 Feb;29(1):25-32.
125. Belcher R, Boyette J, Pierson T, Siegel E, Bartel TB, Anniase E, Stack Jr., BC. What is the role of positron emission tomography in osteonecrosis of the jaws? Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2014;72(2):306-10, epub Aug 8.
126. Lin Z, McDermott A, Shao L, Kannan A, Morgan M, Stack Jr., BC, Moreno M, Davis D, Cornelius LA, Gao L. Chronic mTOR activation promotes cell survival in Merkel cell carcinoma. Cancer Letters. Epub 19 Nov 2013.
127. Middleton L, Stack Jr., BC, Riggs AT, Bodenner DL. Vitamin D Deficiency: Effectiveness of Weekly Administration of 50,000 IU. American J. Otolaryngology 2014; 35(2):85-8. Epub Dec 12, 2013.
128. Rutledge JR, Siegel ER, Belcher R, Bodenner DL, Stack Jr., BC. Barriers to same day discharge of total and completion thyroidectomy patients. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2014;150(5):776-80.
129. Marino M, Spencer H, Hohmann S, Bodenner DL, Stack Jr., BC. Costs of Outpatient thyroid surgery from the UHC database. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 2014;150(5):768-75.
130. Madenci AL, Caragacianu D, Boeckmann JO, Stack Jr., BC, Shin Lateral neck dissection for well-differentiated thyroid carcinoma: A systematic review. Laryngoscope 2014;124(7):1724-34.
131. Stack Jr., BC, Ye J, Willis R, Hubbard MA, Hendrickson H. Determination of Oral Bioavailability of Fusaric Acid in Male Sprague-Dawley Rats. Drugs in R and D, 2014 Jun;14(2):139-45. Epub 6/6/14.
132. Hinson A, Warmack-Smith C, Siegel ER, Stack Jr., BC. Is bisphosphonate-related osteonecrosis of the jaw (BRONJ) and infection? A histological and microbiological ten-year summary since its first description. International Journal of Dentistry 2014, Article ID 452737, 7 pages. doi:10.1155/2014/452737.
133. Bumpous J, Celestre MD, Pribitkin E, Stack BC Jr. Decision making for diagnosis and management: algorithms from experts for molecular testing. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2014;47(4):609-23.
134. Shao Q, Kannan A, Lin Z, Stack BC Jr, Suen JY, Gao L. BET protein inhibitor JQ1 attenuates Myc-amplified MCC tumor growth in vivo. Cancer Res. 2014 Oct 2.
135. Shao Q, Byrum SD, Moreland LE, Mackintosh SG, Kannan A, Lin Z, Morgan M, Stack BC Jr, Cornelius LA, Tackett AJ, Gao L. A Proteomic Study of Human Merkel Cell Carcinoma. J Proteomics Bioinform. 2013 Nov 25;6:275-282. PubMed PMID: 25284964; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4181674.
136. Ashad S, Stack, Jr BC, Bodenner DL. Metastatic Follicular Thyroid Carcinoma Secreting Thyroid Hormone and Radioiodine Avid without Stimulation: A Case Report and Literature Review. Case Reports in Endocrinology 2014;Article ID 584513, 6 pages, 2014. doi:10.1155/2014/584513.
137. Blumhardt R, Wolin EA, Phillips WT, Salman UA, Walker RC, Stack Jr., BC, Metter D. Current Controversies in the Initial Post-Surgical Radioiodine Therapy for Thyroid Cancer: A Narrative Review. Endocrine Related Cancers 2014;21(6):R473-84.
138. Ferrando AA, Waugh D, Hinson AM, Wilkerson BK, Stack Jr. BC, Bodenner DL. Canine detection of metastatic thyroid cancer. Journal of Video Endocrinology 2014; 1(3), www.liebertpub.com/videoendocrinology.
139. Hinson AM, Siegel ER, Stack Jr., BC. Temporal correlation between bisphosphonate termination and symptom resolution in osteonecrosis of the jaw: a pooled case report analysis. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 2015; 73(1):53-62.
140. Marino M, Hinson AM, Siegel ER, Rutledge J, Bodenner DL, Stack Jr., BC. (2015) Relationship of Vitamin D Levels in Thyroid Malignancy. J Otol Rhinol 4:1.
- Hinson AM, Tobler HG, Chen C, Yarbrough TL, Bodenner DL, Stack Jr., BC. (2015) Sestamibi Localization of a Parathyroid Adenoma in the Presence of a Thymoma: a Case Report and Review of the Literature. J Otol Rhinol 4:1.
- Meadors S, Hinson AM, Tobler G, Bodenner DL, Stack Jr. BC (2015) Robot-Assisted Mediastinal Parathyroidectomy: Collaboration Between Otolaryngology and Thoracic Surgery. J Otol Rhinol 4:1.
- Stack Jr., BC, Bimston DN, Bodenner DL, Brett EM, Dralle H, Orloff LA, Pallota J, Snyder SK, Wong R, Randolph GW. AACE Endocrine Surgery Scientific Committee Disease Review Statement: Hypoparathyroidism- Definitions and Management. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists, Endocrine Surgery Scientific Committee, Hypoparathyroidism Working Group. Endocrine Practice 2015;21:674-85.
- Hinson AM, Kandil E, O’Brien S, Spencer HJ, Bodenner DL, Hohmann S, Stack Jr., BC. Trends in Robotic Thyroid Surgery in the United States from 2009 through 2013. Thyroid 2015;25(8):919-26, epub May 25.
- Lee DR, Hinson AM, Siegel ER, Steelman SC, Bodenner DL, Stack BC Jr. Comparison of Intraoperative versus Postoperative Parathyroid Hormone Levels to Predict Hypocalcemia Earlier after Total Thyroidectomy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Sep;153(3):343-9. doi: 10.1177/0194599815596341. Epub 2015 Jul 24. Review. PubMed PMID: 26209077.
- Stack BC Jr. Response to “Critical Points Regarding Hypocalcemia after Total Thyroidectomy”. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Dec;153(6):1080-1. doi:10.1177/0194599815610121. PubMed PMID: 26621932.
- Hinson AM, Lee DR, Hobbs BA, Fitzgerald RT, Bodenner DL, Stack BC Jr. Preoperative 4D CT Localization of Nonlocalizing Parathyroid Adenomas by Ultrasound and SPECT-CT. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Nov;153(5):775-8. doi: 10.1177/0194599815599372. Epub 2015 Aug 6. PubMed PMID: 26248963.
- Sengupta, A. Kannan, M. Kern, M. A. Moreno, E. Vural, B. Stack, J. Y. Suen, A. J. Tackett, and L. Gao. (2015) Disruption of BRD4 at H3K27Ac-enriched enhancer region correlates with decreased c-Myc expression in Merkel cell carcinoma. Epigenetics, 10(6), 460–6. PMID: 25941994.
- Sabet H, Stack Jr., BC, Nagarkar VV. A hand-held, intra-operative positron imaging probe for surgical applications. IEEE Transactions in Nuclear Science. 2015;62(5) part 1:1927-34. Epub 25 August.
- Stack BC Jr, Angelos P. The Ethics of Disclosure and Counseling of Patients with Thyroid Cancer. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Nov 1;141(11):957-8. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2015.2419. PubMed PMID: 26540457.
- Kandil E, Hammad AY, Walvekar RR, Hu T, Masoodi H, Mohamed SE, Deniwar A, Stack BC Jr. Robotic Thyroidectomy Versus Nonrobotic Approaches: A Meta-Analysis Examining Surgical Outcomes. Surg Innov. 2016 Jun;23(3):317-25. PMID: 26525401.
- Kannan A, Lin Z, Shao Q, Zhao S, Fang B, Moreno MA, Vural E, Stack BC Jr, Suen JY, Kannan K, Gao L. Dual mTOR inhibitor MLN0128 suppresses Merkel cell carcinoma (MCC) xenograft tumor growth. Oncotarget. 2016 Feb 9;7(6):6576-92. PMID: 26536665.
- Hinson AM, Wilkerson BM, Rothman-Fitts I, Riggs AT, Stack BC Jr, Bodenner DL. Hyperparathyroidism Associated with Long-Term Proton Pump Inhibitors Independent of Concurrent Bisphosphonate Therapy in Elderly Adults. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2015 Oct;63(10):2070-3. doi: 10.1111/jgs.13661. Epub 2015 Sep 29. PubMed PMID: 26415604.
- Nelson KL, Hinson AM, Lawson BR, Middleton D, Bodenner DL, Stack BC Jr. Postoperative Calcium Management in Same-Day Discharge Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016 May;154(5):854-60. PMID: 26932945.
- Lawson B, Hinson AM, Bodenner DL, Stack Jr. BC. Technique for performing 4D CT to localize parathyroid tumors. Journal of Video Endocrinology, www.liebertpub.com/videoendocrinology.
- Berber E, Bernet V, Fahey TJ 3rd, Kebebew E, Shaha A, Stack BC Jr, Stang M, Steward DL, Terris DJ; American Thyroid Association Surgical Affairs Committee, American Thyroid Association Statement on Remote-Access Thyroid Surgery. Thyroid 2016 Mar;26(3):331-7. PMCID: PMC4994052.
- Lawson BR, Frank RW, Hinson AM, Bodenner DL, Stack BC. Minimally Invasive Radio-Guided Parathyroidectomy. Journal of Video Endocrinology, www.liebertpub.com/videoendocrinology. May 2016, 3. doi: 10.1089/ve.2016.006
- Hinson AM, Hoffmann SF, Stack Jr., BC. Domestic Travel and Regional Migration for Parathyroid Surgery Among Patients Receiving Care at Academic Medical Centers in the United States, 2012-2014. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2016 Jul1;142(7):641-7. PMID: 27124618.
- Fitzgerald RT, Kuruva M, David R, Samant RS, Kumar M, Van Hemert R, Angtuaco EJ, Bodenner D, Stack BC Jr. Characterization of Thyroid Nodules by 4-Dimensional Computed Tomography: Initial Experience. J Comput Assist Tomogr. 2017 Mar/Apr;41(2):195-198. PMID: 27560025.
- Hinson AM, Lawson B, Siegel ER, Bodenner D, Stack Jr. BC. Weight and Effect of Parathyroid Gland Biopsy, Proportion, Mass and Excision Technique on Ex Vivo Radiation Counts during Radioguided Parathyroid Surgery. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Mar 30. PMID: 28358958.
- Agrawal N, Evasovich MR, Kandil E, Noureldine SI, Felger EA, Tufano RP, Kraus DH, Orloff LA, Grogan R, Angelos P, Stack BC Jr, McIver B, Randolph GW. Indications and extent of central neck dissection for papillary thyroid cancer: An American Head and Neck Society Consensus Statement. Head Neck. 2017 Apr 27.doi: 10.1002/hed.24715. PubMed PMID: 28449244.
- Hinson AM, Massoll NA, Jolly LA, Stack BC Jr, Bodenner DL, Franco AT. Structural alterations in tumor-draining lymph nodes before papillary thyroid carcinoma metastasis. Head Neck. 2017 May 3. PMID: 28467685.
- Boucai L, Bernet V, Shaha A, Shindo M, Stack Jr. BC, Tuttle RM for the American Thyroid Association Surgical Affairs Committee Writing Task Force. American Thyroid Association Statement on Surgical Considerations for Papillary Thyroid Microcarcinomas. Journal of Surgical Oncology 2017; epub May 17.
- Orloff LA Wiseman SM, Bernet V, Fahey TJ, Snyder S, Shaha A, Shindo M, Stack Jr., BC, Sunwoo JB, Wang MB. Postoperative Hypoparathyroidism: Diagnosis, Prevention, ad Management. Thyroid. (submitted).
- Goldenberg D, Boucai L, Bernet V, Ferris R, Metzger R, Shindo M, Shaha A, Stack, Jr., BC, Tufano R. Thyroidectomy in Patients Who Have Undergone Gastric Bypass Surgery. Head and Neck. In press.
- Stack Jr. BC, Tolley N, Bartel TB, Bilezekian JP, Bodenner D, Camacho C, Cox JPDT, Dralle H, Jackson JE, Morris JC, Orloff LA, Palazzo F, Ridge JA, Scott-Coombes D, Steward D, Terris DJ, Thompson G, Randolph GW. Re-operative Parathyroid Surgery: An American Head and Neck Society and British Association for Endocrine and Thyroid Surgeons Consensus Statement. Head and Neck. (in press)