Practice Contact Information
650 West Baltimore St.
Web Site: http://www.umomsa.com
Areas of Interest in Head and Neck Surgery
Endocrine Surgery, Head and Neck Research, Head and Neck Surgeon, Oral Surgeon, Reconstructive Head & Neck Surgery
Dr. Joshua Lubek was born in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. He received his medical degree from Wayne State University School of Medicine, Detroit, Michigan and his dental degree from the University of Western Ontario, London, Ontario, Canada. He completed both a General Surgery internship and an Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery residency program at Henry Ford Hospital in Detroit, Michigan.
Dr. Lubek subsequently completed a 2-year Head and Neck Surgery/Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery fellowship at the University of Maryland Greenebaum Cancer Center, Baltimore, Maryland.
Dr. Lubek is currently an Associate Professor and the Fellowship Director of the Oral-Head & Neck Oncology/Microvascular Surgery program in the Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery at the University of Maryland. He is actively involved in the training of surgical fellows, residents, dental students and medical students. Dr. Lubek is involved with research in the areas of Head and Neck Cancer as well as Microvascular Surgery and has over 40 publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals or scientific textbooks. He serves as the Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery section editor for Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology and Oral Radiology and on the editorial board for the Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. Dr. Lubek is an active member of the American Head and Neck Society and is currently the Vice-President of the Maryland State Society of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery.
Dr. Lubek’s clinical interests are focused on Head and Neck Surgery (malignant and benign tumors including salivary and thyroid tumors), Microvascular Reconstructive Surgery, Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS) and Maxillofacial Trauma Surgery.
Dr. Lubek maintains hospital staff privileges providing patient care at both the University of Maryland Medical Center and Lifebridge Health-Sinai Hospital.
- Sub-investigator, “Tongue muscle function after cancer surgery using 4D MRI, DTI and MR tagging R01DC014717”, 08/07/2015-07/31/2020; Dr. Jerry L Prince (PI) Johns Hopkins University
- Co-investigator, “Prediction of head and neck cancer stroma” (HP-00073603) Role for Sema4D produced by head neck cancer in immune suppression through induction of myeloid derived suppressor cells (MDSC), and a novel phenotype of fibrotic peri-tumoral stroma in Sema4D expressing tumors, and finally the novel finding of high levels of soluble Sema4D in peripheral blood of HNC patients; Dr. Rania Younis (PI), University of Maryland
Peer- Reviewed Publications
- Ghazali N, Caldroney S, Dyalram D, Lubek JE. Cardiovascular complications in head & neck microvascular flap reconstruction:A retrospective risk stratification and outcomes assessment. J Craniomaxillofac Surg 2017;45:2120-2127.
- Aslam-Pervez N, Lubek JE. Most cited publications in oral and maxillofacial surgery: a bibliometric analysis. Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2017 Nov4. Doi:10.1007/s10006-017-0660-z. [Epub ahead of print].
- Aslam-Pervez N, Caldroney SJ, Isaiah A, Lubek JE. A retrospective volume matched analysis of the submental artery island pedicled flap as compared to the forearm free flap; Is it a good alternative choice for the reconstruction of defects of the oral cavity and oropharynx. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2017 Aug 12. pii: S0278-2391(17)31061-3. doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2017.08.003. [Epub ahead of print]
- Lubek JE. Gingival cancer overview for general practitioners. Decisions in Dentistry, the Journal of Multidisciplinary Care. Belmont Publishing. 2017;(3)9:32-35.
- Chatzistefanou I, Lubek J, Markou K, Ord RA. The role of perineural invasion in treatment decisions for oral cancer patients; A review of the literature. J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2017;45(6):821-825.
- Khoury ZH, Bugshan A, Lubek JE, Papadimitriou JC, Basile JR, Younis RH. Glycogen-Rich Clear Cell Carcinoma Originating in the Oral Cavity. Head Neck Pathol. 2017 Mar 24. doi: 10.1007/s12105-017-0812-3.
- Aslam-Pervez N, Lubek JE, Rose G, Papadimitriou JC. Peripheral Ameloblastoma: A case report and concise review of literature. J Oral Maxillofac Surg Med Pathol (2017) doi.org/10.1016/j.ajoms.2017.03.014
- Murphy J, Isaiah A, Dyalram D, Lubek JE. Surgical Site Infections in Patients receiving Osteomyocutaneous Free Flaps to the Head and Neck. Does Choice of Antibiotic Prophylaxis Matter? Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery (2017), doi: 10.1016/j.joms.2017.02.006.
- Caldroney S, Ghazali N, Dyalram D, Lubek JE. Surgical resection and vascularized bone reconstruction in advanced stage medication-related osteonecrosis of the jaws. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2017; 46(7):871-876.
- Ghazali N, Parker L, Settle K, Lubek JE. Sustained response of her2 positive metastatic salivary adenocarcinoma NOS treated with trastuzumab. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2016 Sep; 122(3)292-9.
- Ghazali N, Hanna TC, Dyalram D, Lubek JE. The value of the papillon anterolateral thigh flap for total pharyngolaryngectomy reconstruction: a retrospective series. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2016;74(2):406-14.
- Shum JW, Chatzistefanou I, Qaisi M, Lubek JE, Ord RA. Adenoid cystic carcinoma of the minor salivary glands; a retrospective series of 29 cases and review of the literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2016;121(3):210-4.
- Murphy J, Isaiah A, Wolf JS, Lubek JE. The influence of intraoperative frozen section analysis in patients with total/extended maxillectomy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2016;121(1):17-21.
- Hanna TC, Lubek JE. The hybrid submental flap for tongue reconstruction. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2015;73(9):1876.e1-6.
- Zandberg DP, Liu S, Goloubeva O, Ord R, Strome SE, Suntharalingam M, Taylor R, Morales RE, Wolf JS, Zimrin A, Lubek JE, Schumaker LM, Cullen KJ. Oropharyngeal cancer (OPC) drives racial outcome disparities in squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (HNSCC): Ten year experience at the university of maryland greenebaum cancer center (UMGCC). Head Neck. 2016;38(4):564-72.
- Zandberg DP, Rollins S, Goloubeva O, Morales RE, Tan M, Taylor R, Wolf JS, Schumaker LM, Cullen KJ, Zimrin A, Ord R, Lubek JE, Suntharalingam M, Papadimitriou JC, Mann D, Strome SE, Edelman MJ.A phase I dose escalation trial of MAGE-A3- and HPV16-specific peptide immunomodulatory vaccines in patients with recurrent/metastatic (RM) squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck (SCCHN). Cancer Immunol Immunother 2015 Mar;64(3):367-79.
- Murphy J, Isaiah A, Wolf JS, Lubek JE. Quality of life factors and survival after total or extended maxillectomy for sinonasal malignancies. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2015 Apr;73(4):759-63.
- Yang R, Lubek JE, Dyalram D, Liu X, Ord RA. Head and neck cancer in an elderly patient population; a retrospective review. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014; 43:1413-1417.
- Chatzistefanou I, Lubek J, Markou K, Ord RA. The role of neck dissection and postoperative adjuvant radiotherapy in cN0 patients with PNI-positive squamous cell carcinoma of the oral cavity. Oral Oncol 2014 50(8): 753-8.
- Qaisi M, Vorrasi J, Lubek J, Ord R. Multiple primary squamous cell carcinomas of the oral cavity. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014 72(8):1511-6.
- Shum JW, Emmerling M, Lubek JE, Ord RA. Parotid lymphoma: A review of clinical presentation and management. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol 2014 118(1) e:1-5.
- Zhang T, Lubek JE, Salama A, Dyalram D, Liu X, Ord RA. Treatment of cT1N0M0 Tongue Cancer: Outcome and Prognostic Parameters. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014;72(2):406-14.
- Shum J, Markiewicz MR, Park E, Bui T, Lubek J, Bryan Bell R, Dierks EJ. Low Prealbumin is a risk Factor for Microvascular Free Flap Failure. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2014; 72(1):169-77.
- Lubek JE, Dyalram D, Perera E, Liu X, Ord RA. A Retrospective Analysis of Squamous Carcinoma of the Buccal Mucosa: An Aggressive Subsite within the Oral Cavity J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2013 Jun;71(6):1126-31.
- Lubek JE, Hancock MK, Strome SE. What is the Value of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy in Management of Osteoradionecrosis of the Head and Neck? Laryngoscope 2013;123(3):555-6.
- Zhang T, Dyalram-Silverberg D, Bui T, Caccamese JF, Lubek JE. An Analysis of an Implantable Venous Anastomotic Flow Coupler:Experience in Head and Neck Free Flap Reconstruction. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012; 41: 751–
- Dyalram D, Huebner T, Papadimitriou JC, Lubek J. Carcinoma ex pleomorphic adenoma of the upper lip. Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012; 41:364-367.
- Lubek J, Coletti D. Guarded Retractor for Use in Fibula-Free Flap Harvest/Reconstruction. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012; 70:2218-2220.
- Zhang T, Lubek J, Salama A, Caccamese J, Coletti D, Dyalram D, Ord RA. Venous Anastomoses Using Microvascular Coupler in Free Flap Head and Neck Reconstruction. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2012; 70:992-996.
- Lubek J, El-Hakim M, Salama AR, Liu X, Ord RA. Gingival Carcinoma-Retrospective Analysis of 72 Patients and Indications for Elective Neck Dissection. Br J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011;49:182-185.
- Bell RB, Weimer K, Dierks EJ, Buehler M, Lubek J. Computer Planning and Intraoperative Navigation for Palatomaxillary and Mandibular Reconstruction with Fibular Free Flaps. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2011;69(3):724-732.
- Montes DM, Carlson ER, Fernandes R, Ghali GE, Lubek J, Ord, RA, Bell RB, Dierks EJ, Schmidt BL. Oral Maxillary Squamous Carcinoma An Indication for Neck Dissection In the Clinically Negative Neck. Head Neck 2011 Nov;33(11):1581-5.
- Lubek J, Shihabi A, Salama A. Tibiofibular Synostosis – An Unusual Case During Vascularized Fibula Flap Harvest. J Oral Maxillofac Surg 2010;68:2629-2631.
Books, Chapters in Books
- Lubek JE. Rectus Abdominis. In Operative Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Langdon J, Patel M, Ord R, Brennan P (eds.), Taylor and Francis CRC Press, 2017, Chapter 23, pp 241-248. [ISBN 9781482252040].
- Lubek JE. Transoral Robotic Surgery. In Operative Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Langdon J, Patel M, Ord R, Brennan P (eds.), Taylor and Francis CRC Press, 2017, Chapter 32, pp 315-320. [ISBN 9781482252040].
- Lubek JE, Dyalram D, Suntharalingam M, Ord RA. Management of T1-T2 Oral Tongue Squamous Cell Carcinoma. In Oral, Head and Neck Oncology and Reconstructive Surgery 1st Edition, Bryan Bell, Peter Andersen, Rui Fernandes (eds.), Elsevier Publishing, 2017. [Hardcover ISBN: 9780323265683]
- Lubek JE, Magliocca KR. Evaluation of the Bone Margin in Oral Squmaous Cell Carcinoma. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2017 May 24. Pii: S1042-3699(17)30017-1.doi: 10.1016/j.coms.2017.03.005. [Epub ahead of print].
- Lubek JE. Common Free Vascularized Flaps: The Fibula. In Maxillofacial Surgery 3rd Edition, Brennan P, Schliephake H, Ghali GE, Cascarini L (eds.), Elsevier Publishing, 2017, Chapter 36. [ISBN 9780702060625]
- Ord RA, Lubek J. Management of the Neck in Oral Cavity Cancer. In Contemporary Oral Oncology Diagnosis and Management, Kuriakose MA (ed.), Springer Publishing, 2017, Chapter 7, pp 189-210. [ISBN 978-3-319-14917-2]
- Dyalram D, Aslam-Pervez N, Lubek JE. Nonodontogenic tumors of the jaws. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2016 Feb;28(1):59-65. doi: 10.1016/j.coms.2015.08.002.
- Lubek JE. Radial Forearm. In Atlas of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery 1st Edition, Kademani D and Tiwana P (eds.), St. Louis 2012 Saunders Elsevier, 2016, Chapter 114. [ISBN: 9781455753284]
- Lubek JE, Shihabi A, Murphy LA, Berman JN. Hematopoietic Neck Masses. Atlas Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2015 Mar;23(1):31-37
- Qaisi M, Lubek JE. Complications Associated with Reconstruction of Lip Defects. In Lip Cancer Treatment and Reconstruction, T Kolokythas (ed.), Springer Berlin Heidelberg, 2014 pp137-145. [ISBN: 978-3-642-38179-9 (Print) 978-3-642-38180-5 (Online)]
- Lubek J, Patel K.: Pharmacology for Antibiotics for Head and Neck Infections. In Oral Maxillofacial Surgery Knowledge Updates V, RB Bell (editor-in-chief), American Association of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeons 2013, www.aaoms.org
- Lubek JE, Ord RA. Lip Reconstruction. In Reconstruction of the Acquired Hard and Soft Tissue Defects of the Facial Skeleton, P Louis (ed.). Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2013:25:203-214.
- Lubek J, Clayman L. An Update on Squamous Carcinoma of the Oral Cavity Oropharynx and Maxillary Sinus. Oral Maxillofac Surg Clin North Am. 2012:24: 307–316.
- Lubek J, Engroff S. Anterolateral Thigh Flap. In Current Therapy in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, SC Bagheri, RB Bell, HA Khan (eds.), St. Louis, 2012, Saunders Elsevier, pp584-588. [ISBN: 978-1-4160-2527-6]
- Engroff S, Lubek J. Deep Circumflex Iliac Artery Free Flap. In Current Therapy in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, SC Bagheri, RB Bell, HA Khan (eds.) St. Louis, 2012, Saunders Elsevier, pp589-591. [ISBN: 978-1-4160-2527-6].