AHNS 2022 Annual Meeting
Held during the Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meetings (COSM)
April 27-28, 2022
Hyatt Regency Dallas
Abstract Submission Supporting Documents:
All authors who wish to present papers for the AHNS 2022 Annual Meeting MUST submit online via the AHNS Abstracts Submission Site.
The program committee will be responsible for selecting oral and poster presentations. Oral presentations will be presented throughout the main scientific session and a short video may be incorporated into an oral podium presentation. Accepted abstracts will be published in the Final Program.
- No Previously Presented Submissions (Encore Abstracts): The abstract submitted must present original work that has not and will not be presented prior to the AHNS 2022 Annual Meeting held during the Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meetings (COSM).
- No Previously Published Submissions/No Submissions Under Consideration For Publication: The abstract submitted must present original work that has not and will not be published or presented prior to the AHNS 2022 Annual Meeting held during the Combined Otolaryngology Spring Meetings (COSM), and is not currently under review for publication. The exception to this rule is that a manuscript may be submitted to JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery for special meeting related consideration only after the abstract has been accepted by AHNS for presentation. Manuscripts may not be submitted to any journals for consideration until after AHNS abstract acceptance notification, and if the abstract is selected for Oral Presentation, the Presenter is required to submit a complete manuscript to JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. If the manuscript has been submitted to any journal prior to AHNS abstract acceptance notifications, or if the manuscript is not submitted to JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery as part of the Oral Presentation requirement, the Abstract Submitter, Presenter and Senior Author will forfeit the privilege to submit, present, or be listed as an author on abstracts for the 2023 and 2024 AHNS Annual Meetings. Abstracts selected for Oral presentation may not be moved to other forms of presentation to bypass the required submission of a manuscript to JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery.
- Authors of abstracts selected for Oral Presentation may request a waiver from submitting a manuscript to JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, but all requests must be submitted no later than January 25, 2022 in writing to the AHNS Publications Committee via the link in your presentation acceptance letter. All decisions regarding waivers will be made by the Publications Committee; authors whose requests are declined will need to withdraw their Oral Presentation if they do not plan to submit a manuscript toJAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery by the April 15, 2022 deadline.
- Trials in Progress and Case Reports may be submitted
- Abstract submissions are limited to 500 words or less.
- Images are allowed with abstract submissions. Images must be no larger than 1MB in file size, and no larger than 900 pixels wide by 900 pixels high.
- No reference to the authors or the institution should appear within the body of the abstract or in the abstract title.
- Manuscript Submission: Accepted Oral Abstract Presenters must submit a complete manuscript to JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery.
- Abstracts can be edited until the submission site closes. After the submission site closes and the abstracts go into review, the content of the abstracts may not be edited in any way. Please make sure to proof read and double check your abstracts before submission. In addition, AHNS cannot update the content/text of your abstract to include new/updated data after acceptance notifications, although you will be allowed to include these updated findings in your actual presentation.
Authors are asked to choose the topic that best matches the content of their abstract:
- Cancer Biology
- Cancer Engineering / Technology
- Education / Care Delivery
- Endocrine Surgery
- Functional Outcomes / Quality
- Hypopharynx / Larynx
- Imaging and Screening
- Immunotherapy / Systemic Therapy
- Nasopharynx / Paranasal Sinus / Skull Base
- Oral Cavity
- Oropharynx / HPV Related Disease
- Precision Medicine
- Radiation / Adjuvant Treatment
- Reconstruction / Microvascular Surgery
- Salivary Gland
- Skin Cancer
AHNS Policy on Owner/Employee of Ineligible Companies
The ACCME states “the owners and employees of ineligible companies are considered to have unresolvable financial relationships and must be excluded from participating as planners or faculty, and must not be allowed to influence or control any aspect of the planning, delivery, or evaluation of accredited continuing education, except in the limited circumstances outlined in Standard 3.2.” Therefore, AHNS declares that no employees/owners of an ineligible company may present in AHNS CME accredited sessions.
Click here to view the ACCME’s definition of ineligible company, owner and employee.
Please contact [email protected] with any questions regarding AHNS Policy on Owner/Employee of Ineligible Companies.
All authors are invited to compete for the following awards:
- Robert Maxwell Byers Award in the amount of $1,000 US for the best clinical research paper submitted to the meeting
- Randal Weber, MD Award for Quality, Safety and Value in Head and Neck Oncology in the amount of $1000 for the best paper submitted to the meeting in these areas of academic/clinical interest
- Best Resident Basic Science Research Paper in the amount of $500 US. Only residents in training can compete for this award and must attest that he/she performed at least 80% of the work
- Best Resident Clinical Paper in the amount of $500 US. Only residents in training can compete for this award and must attest that he/she performed at least 80% of the work
- Best Prevention and Early Detection Papers in the amount of $500 US for first place and $250 for second place
All authors who intend to compete for an award must notify AHNS of their intent at the time of their abstract submission by checking off the award for which they wish to compete. To be considered for the awards noted above, you must also submit a completed manuscript to the AHNS Office by Tuesday, February 22, 2022 to be eligible. Only previously unpublished manuscripts will be considered for awards.
(Please Note: Submitting a manuscript to AHNS for award eligibility is unrelated to submitting a manuscript to the AHNS-affilitated journal. Please see manuscript instructions for the journal below.)
All accepted Oral Presentations are REQUIRED to submit a manuscript to the AHNS-affiliated journal, JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery by April 15, 2022, via the journal’s web-based manuscript submission system (see below). Please note that this deadline precedes the start of the meeting by 12 days.
PRESENTERS & SENIOR AUTHORS OF ORAL PRESENTATIONS WHO FAIL TO SUBMIT A MANUSCRIPT TO THE JOURNAL BY April 15, 2022 WILL FORFEIT YOUR PRIVILEGE TO PRESENT AT THE ANNUAL MEETING FOR THE SUBSEQUENT TWO ANNUAL MEETINGS. This Policy is firmly enforced and will take effect immediately.
Authors of abstracts selected for Poster Presentation are encouraged to submit a manuscript to JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, but it is not required. To be considered for inclusion in the journal’s AHNS Theme Issue, the manuscript must be submitted before July 24, 2022. All papers submitted to the journal undergo thorough peer review and editorial decisions for acceptance for publication are based on the quality the manuscripts and the editorial priorities of the journal. Papers received by these deadlines will have the most favorable chances for success.
A few select research papers, both Oral and Poster may also be considered for simultaneous publication with presentation during the AHNS meeting. All such papers must be submitted electronically to the journal by Friday, February 11, 2022.
JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery papers can be submitted at:
All papers must be complete submissions according to the Journal’s Instructions for Authors.
Instructions for JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery are available at:
Important: Authors should also click on the following link to view a 2-minute video with additional instructions
Authors of abstracts selected for Oral Presentation may request a waiver from submitting a manuscript to JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery, but all requests must be submitted no later than January 25, 2022 in writing to the AHNS Publications Committee via the link in your presentation acceptance letter. All decisions regarding waivers will be made by the Publications Committee; authors whose requests are declined will need to withdraw their Oral Presentation if they do not plan to submit a manuscript to JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery by the April 15, 2022 deadline.
If you have any questions, please contact the AHNS office:
Email: [email protected] • Phone: 310-437-0559 (ext. 118) • FAX: 310-437-0585