On May 13, 1998, The American Head and Neck Society (AHNS) became the single largest organization in North America for the advancement of research and education in head and neck oncology. The merger of two societies, the Society of Head and Neck Surgeons (founded in 1954) and the American Society for Head and Neck Surgery (founded in 1958), formed the American Head and Neck Society.
The AHNS Council, along with the Ethics Committee, approved a statement of professionalism and ethics. To view this statement, please click here
The purpose of the Society is to advance education, research, and quality of care for the head and neck oncology patient.
AHNS MEMBER BENEFITS
- Honor of being a part of our worldwide network of surgeons, physicians and healthcare professionals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of head and neck cancer
- Discounts on all meeting registration fees
- Monthly e-newsletter with updates about the society and head & neck surgery activities
- Opportunities to partake in educational offerings, including those planned by the society and those co-sponsored by the society
- Access to the AHNS member database, including full contact information for most members, available in the Members Only section on the AHNS web site
- Access to the AHNS membership mailing list for a greatly reduced rate
- Ability to apply for research grant awards offered yearly
- Opportunity to post regional meetings and courses on the AHNS Related Meetings webpage
- Active members may participate on committees and vote at the annual business meeting
MEMBERSHIP DUES STRUCTURE
Membership annual dues invoices are based on the calendar year and payable in January of each year.
|Active $400||Corresponding $100||Associate $100||Candidate $25|
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR FELLOWSHIP IN THE SOCIETY
Applicants desiring election to Fellowship in any class other than Associate Fellow must hold a valid, unrestricted license to practice medicine in the state or country in which they reside and shall be proposed by two Active Fellows with at least one from the applicant’s local geographical area. The letters of recommendation must pertain to the qualifications of the candidate and can be requested through the online application by selecting the sponsor names.
Qualifications for Active Fellowship:
- An applicant shall maintain a license to practice medicine and be actively engaged in diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of patients with neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck and the prevention of neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck. A significant portion of practice shall be concerned with managing patients with neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck.
- Surgical Applicants must be Diplomates of a particular specialty board or have credentials that are equivalent to those issued by member boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties, the American Board of Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, or Surgery or OTHER EQUIVALENT CERTIFICATION BOARD. Additionally, all applicants must be at least one of the following Fellows of the American College of Surgeons (FACS), Fellows in the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS). Application with ACS can be filed concurrently; however, for Active member status, ACS membership must be achieved by the time of induction. If there will be more than a year’s delay due to ACS, an applicant can apply as a Candidate member if appropriately qualified (recent or current trainee). Board certified oncologists may also become Active Fellows. A significant portion of practice shall be concerned with managing patients with neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck.
- An applicant for Active Fellowship shall provide documentation that he or she has received adequate training in the management of patients with head and neck tumors and that a significant portion of the current activity is devoted to the care of such patients. Such documentation will include a description of experience during residency and/or fellowship training, a summary of subsequent post-training experience, and a listing of at least 35 patients with head and neck tumors managed during the preceding year.
- Applicants should have the Chief of Service or Chairman of the Department or Division sign the completed case listing. The signature on each of the case listing forms indicates that the form has been reviewed and is correct. EACH CASE LIST MUST BE COUNTERSIGNED BY THE CHIEF OF SERVICE OF EACH HOSPITAL LISTED.
- Listings should be in chronological order only and a separate list should be used for each hospital.
- Indicate in parentheses multiple or staged procedures/treatments. You may use your own judgment in selecting and listing your most appropriate 35 cases.
- DIAGNOSTICS PROCEDURES SHOULD NOT BE INCLUDED.
- Any unusual complication (death or complication with sequelae) should be commented upon underneath the case using a COMMENT field.
- PLEASE NOTE: If the Active applicant has completed a fellowship with any of the approved AHNS Advanced Training Council programs within 5 years, a case listing does NOT need to be submitted.
- Additional evidence of academic activity such as one paper published on cancer of the head and neck is required.
- Active Fellows are expected to uphold ethical standards.
Qualifications for Corresponding Fellowship:
- Corresponding Fellowship shall be granted to those who, in the judgment of the Council, are actively engaged in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of patients with neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck. An applicant shall be a physician who specializes in the treatment of head and neck cancer, who by their professional associations and publications, would appear in the judgment of Council to be qualified to treat neoplasia and diseases of the head and neck.
- Corresponding Fellows must reside in a country other than the United States or Canada.
Qualifications for Associate Fellowship:
Applicant for Associate Fellowship must be a physician, dentist, or allied scientist who has demonstrated a special interest in the field of head and neck oncology, but a significant portion of whose practice is concerned with managing patients with non-neoplastic diseases of the head and neck.
Qualifications for Candidate Fellowship:
- An applicant shall be a trainee currently enrolled in, or a graduate of, an approved residency program in Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, or General Surgery or in a Fellowship Program approved by the Advanced Training Council.
- Candidate fellows must update their demographical information on a yearly basis and must become Active fellows upon completion of a residency or fellowship program. The membership shall expire if the Candidate member has not made application for an upgrade to Active or Corresponding Fellow within five years after the completion of training.
Qualifications for Upgrading to Active Membership Status:
In order to be upgraded to Active or Corresponding membership status, a Candidate or Associate Fellow must complete the following within 3 years of graduation of fellowship to be considered:
1. An application form marked Active or Corresponding.
2. Submit documentation of ACS membership (if the Active applicant is a ATC Graduate with any of the approved AHNS Advanced Training Council programs, they have 3 years from graduation to complete this requirement)
3. A case listing (if the Active applicant has completed a fellowship with any of the approved AHNS Advanced Training Council programs within 5 years, a case listing does NOT need to be submitted).
4. And a letter indicating a desire to be considered for Active or Corresponding Fellowship.
APPLICATION REVIEW CYCLE
Applications are reviewed twice a year. Final approval occurs during the annual AHNS meeting.
Deadlines for completing applications are:
Please note the following steps of review for membership:
- Review by the Membership and Credentials Service (approx 1-2 months);
Applicants will receive a notification of the provisional decision
- Review by the Executive Council (approx 1-2 months)
- Active Membership Comment period of the applicants (approx 1 month)
- Final approval of both review periods is held during the business meeting of the AHNS annual meeting.
Please send application and documents to:
American Head and Neck Society
11300 West Olympic Boulevard, Suite 600
Los Angeles, CA 90064
APPLICATION DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS
To complete your application, ALL APPLICANTS must submit the following:
- A completed application form.
- A copy of your most current Curriculum Vitae. Email to email@example.com.
- A 2×2 or passport size photo. Email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Request two (2) letters of recommendation from Active fellows of the Society (one in your community). International applicants may request letters from an Active or Corresponding member of the Society. An automated reference request is available within the application for your convenience.
- Pay the $25 application fee. If paying by check, make it payable to the American Head and Neck Society.
The following information is also needed for ACTIVE APPLICANTS:
- You must submit a SIGNED case list. Click here for an AHNS Sample Case List document.
PLEASE NOTE: If the Active applicant has completed a fellowship with any of the approved AHNS Advanced Training Council programs within 5 years, a case list does NOT need to be submitted.
Click here to begin your application: fill out the online application