On May 13, 1998, The American Head and Neck Society (AHNS) became the single largest organization in North America for the advancement of research and education in head and neck oncology. The merger of two societies, the Society of Head and Neck Surgeons (founded in 1954) and the American Society for Head and Neck Surgery (founded in 1958), formed the American Head and Neck Society.
The AHNS Council, along with the Ethics Committee, approved a statement of professionalism and ethics. To view this statement, please click here
All AHNS members are referred to as Fellows of the AHNS.
The purpose of the Society is to advance education, research, and quality of care for the head and neck oncology patient.
AHNS MEMBER BENEFITS
- Honor of being a part of our worldwide network of surgeons, physicians and healthcare professionals dedicated to the prevention and treatment of head and neck cancer
- Discounts on Annual Meeting registration fees
- Ability to create a Public Profile in the “Find-a-Physician Directory” accessible by patients and referring physicians
- Opportunities to partake in educational offerings, including those planned by the society and those co-sponsored by the society
- Access to the AHNS subspecialty Section online forums at no additional cost
- Ability to apply for research grant awards offered yearly
- Opportunity to post regional meetings and courses on the AHNS Related Meetings webpage
- Active members may participate on committees and vote at the annual business meeting
MEMBERSHIP DUES STRUCTURE
Membership annual dues invoices are based on the calendar year and payable in January of each year.
Formerly called “Corresponding”
Formerly called “Candidate”
APPLICATION REVIEW CYCLE
Applications are reviewed three times a year. Final approval occurs during the annual AHNS meeting.
Deadlines for completing applications are:
Please note the following steps of review for membership, commencing after each application deadline:
- Review by the Membership and Credentials Service (approx 1-2 months);
Applicants will receive a notification of the provisional decision
- Review by the Executive Council (approx 1-2 months)
- Active Membership Comment period of the applicants (approx 1 month)
- Final approval of review periods is held during the business meeting of the AHNS annual meeting.
ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR FELLOWSHIP IN THE SOCIETY
Applicants desiring election to Fellowship in any class other than Associate Fellow or Medical Student must hold a valid, unrestricted license to practice medicine in the state or country in which they reside. Applicants in any class other than International or Medical Student shall be proposed by two Active Fellows with at least one from the applicant’s local geographical area or having direct knowledge of the applicant’s clinical performance. Applicants for International fellow class may be proposed by two Active fellows, or one Active fellow and one International fellow. Medical Student applicants do not need to be proposed for AHNS fellowship.
A link to the online recommendation form will be sent to the email addresses the applicant selects on the new member application.
APPLICATION DOCUMENTATION REQUIREMENTS
To complete your application, ALL APPLICANTS must submit the following:
- A completed application form.
- A copy of your most current Curriculum Vitae, which may be uploaded directly to the online application, or Email to [email protected].
- Optional but recommended – a 2×2 or passport size photo, which may be uploaded directly to the online application, or. Email to [email protected].
- Applicants to all classes of membership except Medical Students must be sponsored by two (2) Active fellows of the Society with at least one from the applicant’s local geographical area or having direct knowledge of the applicant’s clinical performance. International applicants may be sponsored by two Active fellows or one Active fellow and one International fellow of the Society. An automated sponsorship request is available within the application for your convenience, and each sponsor will be emailed a special link.
- $25 application fee via credit card during the online application
- The following information is also needed for ACTIVE APPLICANTS:
- You must submit a case list SIGNED by the Division/Department Chair. Click here for an AHNS Sample Case List document.
Qualifications for Active Fellowship:
- An applicant shall maintain a license to practice medicine and be actively engaged in diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of patients with neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck and the prevention of neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck. A significant portion of practice shall be concerned with managing patients with neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck.
- Surgical Applicants must be Diplomates of a particular specialty board or have credentials that are equivalent to those issued by member boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties, the American Board of Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, or Surgery, or OTHER EQUIVALENT CERTIFICATION BOARD. Board certified oncologists may also become Active Fellows if a significant portion of practice shall be concerned with managing patients with neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck.
- An applicant for Active Fellowship shall provide documentation (CV) that he or she has received adequate training in the management of patients with head and neck tumors and that a significant portion of the current activity is devoted to the care of such patients. Such documentation will include a description of experience during residency and/or fellowship training, a summary of subsequent post-training experience, and a listing of at least 35 patients with head and neck tumors managed during the preceding year.
- Applicants should have the Chief of Service or Chairman of the Department or Division sign the completed case listing. The signature on each of the case listing forms indicates that the form has been reviewed and is correct. EACH CASE LIST MUST BE SIGNED BY THE CHIEF OF SERVICE OF EACH HOSPITAL LISTED.
- Listings should be in chronological order only and a separate list should be used for each hospital.
- Indicate in parentheses multiple or staged procedures/treatments. You may use your own judgment in selecting and listing your most appropriate 35 cases.
- DIAGNOSTICS PROCEDURES SHOULD NOT BE INCLUDED.
- Any unusual complication (death or complication with sequelae) should be commented upon underneath the case using a COMMENT field.
- Click here for an AHNS Sample Case List document.
- Additional evidence of academic activity such as one paper published on cancer of the head and neck is required.
- Active Fellows are expected to uphold ethical standards.
- Reside in the United States or Canada.
Qualifications for International Fellowship:
International Fellowship shall be granted to those who, in the judgment of the Council, are actively engaged in the prevention, diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation of patients with neoplasms and other diseases of the head and neck. An applicant shall be a physician who specializes in the treatment of head and neck cancer, who by their professional associations and publications, would appear in the judgment of Council to be qualified to treat neoplasia and diseases of the head and neck.
- International Fellows must reside in a country other than the United States or Canada.
Qualifications for Associate Fellowship:
Applicants for Associate Fellowship may be Dentists, Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners, Speech Pathologists, Registered Nurses, Surgical Educators, and other Advanced Practice Professionals with a special interest in the field of head and neck oncology. Licensed physicians and surgeons with interest in the field of head and neck oncology, but a significant portion of whose work may be concerned with managing patients with non-neoplastic diseases of the head and neck (i.e. do not meet criteria for ACTIVE category) are also eligible.
Qualifications for Resident Fellowship:
- An applicant shall be a trainee currently enrolled in, or a recent graduate of, an approved residency program in Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, or General Surgery or in a Fellowship Program approved by the Advanced Training Council.
- Resident fellows must update their demographical information on a yearly basis and must become Active fellows upon completion of a residency or fellowship program. The membership shall expire if the Resident member has not submitted an application to upgrade to Active or International Fellow within five years after the completion of training.
Qualifications for Medical Student Fellowship:
- An applicant for election to Medical Student Fellowship shall be enrolled in an accredited allopathic or osteopathic medical school.
- The membership shall expire if the Medical Student Fellow has not submitted an application for Resident Fellowship within two years of completion of medical school.
Qualifications for Upgrading to Active Membership Status:
In order to be upgraded to Active or International membership status, an AHNS member must provide the following within 3 years of graduation of training:
- Submit an Upgrade to Active or International application form
- A case listing (if the Active applicant has completed a fellowship with an approved AHNS Advanced Training Council programs within 5 years, a case listing does NOT need to be submitted).
- Sponsorship by two Active Fellows with at least one from the applicant’s local geographical area, or having direct knowledge of the applicant’s clinical performance.
- If the applicant has completed an AHNS Advanced Training Council programs within 5 years the sponsors must be the Department Chief/Chair and Fellowship Director. If the Chief/Chair is also the Fellowship Program Director, the second recommendation can be submitted from one of the Program Faculty in Active standing with AHNS.
- Be a Diplomate of a particular specialty board or have credentials that are equivalent to those issued by member boards of the American Board of Medical Specialties, such as the American Boards of Otolaryngology, Plastic Surgery, or Surgery.
If the applicant resides out of the United States and Canada please complete the Upgrade to Active application and our office will contact you directly upon submission.
Click here to begin your application and pay the $25 application fee: fill out the online application
Email: [email protected]
Fax: 310-424-3398 or 310-437-0585
Phone Inquiries: 310-437-0559 x126