Practice Contact Information
Nebraska Methodist Hosptial
8303 Dodge Street
Web Site: https://www.bestcare.org/methodist-hospital/services/cancer/head-and-neck-oncology/
Areas of Interest in Head and Neck Surgery
Head and Neck Surgeon, Reconstructive Head & Neck Surgery
Dr. Andrew J Holcomb is a board-eligible surgeon who specializes in the care of patients with benign and malignant tumors of the head and neck. A Virginia native, he completed medical school at Eastern Virginia Medical School and completed residency training in otolaryngology-head and neck surgery at the University of Kansas Medical Center. He completed a fellowship in head and neck oncology, skull base, and microvascular reconstructive surgery at Massachusetts Eye and Ear, a Harvard Medical School teaching hospital in Boston.
Dr. Holcomb believes it’s important to give back to others in need, and he’s taken mission trips to several countries, including Rwanda and Honduras. Among the valuable lessons he’s learned is that each patient has their own unique background, values and needs.
“When I meet a patient, it’s really important to me to get to know them as a person,” he said. “We’re about to embark on the journey of treating cancer together, and there will sometimes be bumps in the road. So establishing a trusting relationship where we really understand each other is very important to me.”
Dr. Holcomb is married to a native Iowan. “We really love being a part of the Omaha community,” he said.
PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- Holcomb AJ, Richmon JD. Transoral robotic salvage oropharyngectomy with submental artery island flap reconstruction. Head and Neck (2020). PMID: 33210351
- Abt NB, Holcomb AJ, Feng AL, Mohktari TE, Suresh K, McHugh CI, Parikh AS, Faden D, Deschler DG, Varvares MA, Lin DT, Richmon JD. Opioid usage and predictors of opioid consumption following transoral robotic surgery for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Laryngoscope (Accepted November 2020).
- Holcomb AJ, Brown L, Tawfik O, Madan R, Shnayder Y, Thomas SM, Wallace N. DNA repair gene expression is increased in HPV positive head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Virology (2020). PMID: 32838940
- Holcomb AJ, Perryman M, Penn J, Goodwin S, Villwock M, Bur A, Shnayder Y, Tsue T, Woodroof J, Kakarala K. A pathology protocol increases lymph node yield in neck dissection for oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Head and Neck (2020). PMID: 32578921
- Sykes KJ, Morrow E, Smith J, Holcomb AJ, TeNapel M, Lominska C, Bur A, Kakarala K. What’s the hold up? – A mixed-methods analysis of post-operative radiotherapy delay in head and neck cancer. Head and Neck (2020).
- Abt NB, Holcomb AJ, Schroff S, Deschler DG. Intralaryngeal paraganglioma workup and discussion of surgical approach. BMJ Case Reports (2020). PMID: 32487522
- Bur AM, Holcomb AJ, Goodwin, B, Karadaghy O, Shnayder Y, Kakarala K, Brant J, Shew M. Machine learning to predict occult nodal metastasis in early oral squamous cell carcinoma. Oral Oncology (2019). PMID: 31010618
- Holcomb AJ, Hamill S, Irwin T, Sykes K, Garnett J, Kraft S. Practice patterns of referring physicians in management of the dysphonic patient. Otolaryngology–Head and Neck Surgery (2018). PMID: 29462564
- Kumar D, Yalamanchali S, New J, Parsel S, New N, Holcomb AJ, Gunewardena S, Tawfik O, Lominska C, Kimler B, Anant S, Kakarala K, Tsue TT, Shnayder Y, Sykes K, Padhye S, Thomas S. Development and characterization of an in vitro model for radiation-induced fibrosis. Radiation Research (2018). PMID: 29351058
- Jones J, Usman S, New J, Holcomb AJ, Gunewardena S, Tawfik O, Bruegger D, Hoover L, Thomas S. Differential gene expression and pathway analysis in juvenile nasopharyngeal angiofibroma using RNA-sequencing. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery (2018). PMID: 29634432
- Kavookjian H, Holcomb AJ, Garnett J, Kraft S. The role of quality-of-life instruments in predicting voice therapy dropout. The Laryngoscope (2018). PMID: 30194864
BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Deschler DG, Holcomb AJ. “Reconstruction of laryngopharyngectomy defects with fasciocutaneous supraclavicular artery island flap”. Matrix Head, Face, and Neck Reconstruction: An Illustrated and Pictorial Guide (Expected 2020).
- Deschler DG, Holcomb AJ. “Reconstruction of cervical cutaneous defects with fasciocutaneous supraclavicular artery island flap”. Matrix Head, Face, and Neck Reconstruction: An Illustrated and Pictorial Guide (Expected 2020).
- Deschler DG, Holcomb AJ. “Reconstruction of oral cavity and oropharyngeal defects with fasciocutaneous supraclavicular artery island flap”. Matrix Head, Face, and Neck Reconstruction: An Illustrated and Pictorial Guide (Expected 2020).
- Deschler DG, Holcomb AJ. “Reconstruction of parotidectomy, auriculectomy, and temporal bone defects with fasciocutaneous supraclavicular artery island llap”. Matrix Head, Face, and Neck Reconstruction: An Illustrated and Pictorial Guide (Expected 2020).