Practice Contact Information
Baylor College of Medicine
1977 Butler Boulevard
Areas of surgical specialization
Reconstructive Head & Neck Surgery
Andrew T. Huang, MD FACS is a board certified otolaryngologist – head and neck surgeon specializing in microvascular free tissue transfer reconstruction, microsurgery, and sleep surgery alternatives to PAP therapy. After graduating from the Honors Program in Medicine at the University of Miami, Florida, he then completed his Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery residency training at Virginia Commonwealth University before participating in a three-year head and neck surgery and reconstruction fellowship at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center.
Dr. Huang has devoted his clinical practice to the reconstructive needs of patients with cancer or trauma-related issues of the head and neck, as well as to the management of patients with obstructive sleep apnea struggling with positive airway pressure (PAP) therapy. Areas of expertise include microvascular free tissue transfer reconstruction of complex head and neck deformities, Mohs defect reconstruction, lymphedema supermicrosurgical therapies, facial nerve reanimation, and the full spectrum of sleep surgical procedures. Trained in the utilization of new technologies such as CAD/CAM techniques, near-infrared fluorescence imaging in vascular and lymphatic reconstructions, and Inspire (upper airway stimulation) therapy, Dr. Huang brings a wealth of experience to all of his patients. With over 42 peer-reviewed publications and numerous national and international presentations given, Dr. Huang’s research has focused on functional outcomes following free tissue transfer reconstruction, improvement in head and neck lymphedema therapies, and development of novel reconstructive modalities and technologies.
- Wilde DC, Kansara S, Banner L, Morlen R, Hernandez D, Huang, AT, Mai W, Fuller CD, Lai S, Sandulache VC. Early detection of mandible osteoradionecrosis risk in a high comorbidity veteran population. Am J Otolaryngol. 2022 Dec 28;44(2):103781. Doi:10.1016/j.amjoto.2022.103781.
- Contrera KJ, Huang AT, Shenson JA, Tang C, Roberts D, Myers JN, Weber RS, Lai SY, Williams M, El-Hallal M, Jacob D, Zafereo M. Primary and recurrent regional metastases for lateralized oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Surgical Oncology. 2022 Jul;44:101804. Doi:10.1016/j.suronc.2022.101804.
- Wang R, Horwich P, Sandulache VC, Hernandez DJ, Hornig J, Graboyes EM, Liou NE, Skoner J, Haskins AD, Ranasinghe V, Day TA, Sturgis EM, Huang AT. Safety of microvascular free tissue transfer reconstruction of the head and neck in the setting of chronic pharmacologic immunosuppression. Head Neck. 2022 Jul;44(7):1520-1527.
- Wilde DC, Castro PD, Bera K, Lai S, Madabhushi A, Corredor G, Koyuncu C, Lewis JS Jr, Lu C, Frederick MJ, Frederick AM, Haugen AE, Zevallos JP, Sturgis EM, Shi J, Huang AT, Hernandez DJ, Skinner HD, Kemnade JO, Yu W, Sikora AG, Sandulache VC. Oropharyngeal cancer outcomes correlate with p17 status, multinucleation and immune infiltration. Mod Pathol. 2022 Aug;35(8):1045-1054.
- Shum J, Manon V, Huang A. A combined transoral and contralateral submandibular approach in the surgical management of osteoradionecrosis of the mandible with free flap reconstruction. J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2022 Sep;80(9):1544-1549.
- Macias D, Hand BN, Pipkorn P, Williams AM, Chang SS, Zenga J, Nilsen ML, Rhoten BA, Huang AT, Osazuwa-Peters N, Maurer S, Balliet W, Li H, Ruggiero KJ, Sterba KR, Graboyes EM. Association of Inventory to Measure and Assess imaGe Disturbance – Head and Neck Scores with Clinically Meaningful Body Image-Related Distress Among Head and Neck Cancer Survivors. Front Psychol. 2021 Dec 10;12:794038. doi:10.3389/fpsyg.2021.794038. eCollection 2021.
- Huang AT, Sturgis EM. Surviving Surveillance – Are Current Head and Neck Cancer Post-treatment Surveillance Recommendations Better for Patients or Ourselves? JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2022 Jan 1;148(1):51-52.
- Hernandez DJ, Alam B, Kemnade JO, Huang AT, Chen AC, Sandulache VC. Consistent Multimodality Approach to Oral Cavity and High-Risk Oropharyngeal Cancer in Veterans. Am J Otolaryngol. 2021 Nov-Dec;42(6):103166. doi:10.1016/j.amjoto.2021.103166. Epub 2021 Jul 27.
- Macias D, Hand BN, Maurer S, Balliet W, Ellis MA, Pipkorn P, Huang AT, Nilsen ML, Ruggiero KJ, Williams AM, Marsh CH, Li H, Rhoten BA, Sterba KR, Graboyes EM. Factors Associated with Risk of Body Image-Related Distress in Patients with Head and Neck Cancer. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021 Dec 1;147(12):1019-1026.
- Verla T, Huang AT, Sandulache VC, Ropper AE. Combined anterior cervical spine fusion and total laryngopharyngectomy with free flap reconstruction: a technical note. Interdisciplinary Neurosurgery: Advanced Techniques and Case Management. 2021;25(1):101238. Doi: 10.1016/j.inat.2021.101238.
- Shi J, Ayeni T, Gallagher KK, Patel AJ, Jalali A, Hernandez DJ, Haskins AD, Sandulache VC, Sturgis EM, Huang AT. Reconstructive outcomes of multilayered closure of large skull base dural defects following open anterior craniofacial resection. Journal of Neurological Surgery Part B: Skull Base. 2021 Feb 22. doi:10.1055/s-004101722899. Online ahead of print.
- Mays AC, Yarlagadda B, Achim V, Jackson R, Pipkorn P, Huang AT, Rajasekaran K, Sridharan S, Rosko AJ, Orosco RK, Coughlin AM, Wax MK, Shnayder Y, Spanos WC, Farwell DG, McDaniel LS, Hanasono MM. Examining the relationship of immunotherapy and wound complications following flap reconstruction in patients with head and neck cancer. Head Neck. 2021 Jan 8. Doi:10.1002/hed.26601. Online ahead of print.
- Sheehan CC, Haskins AD, Huang AT, Hernandez DJ. Cephalometric and functional mandibular reconstructive outcomes using a horizontal scapular tip free flap. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2021 Jan 5:194599820984132. Doi:10.1177/0194599820984132. Online ahead of print.
- Harris BN, Ghazizadeh S, Bayon R, Kejner AE, Cannady SB, Greene BJ, Huang AT, Curry J, Blackwell KE, Ducic Y, Wax MK. Head Neck. 2021 Feb;43(2):585-589.
- Hudson CS, Huang AT. Perforator-based propeller flaps for reconstruction of massive anterolateral thigh donor site wounds. Head Neck. 2020 Dec;42(12):E49-E52.
- Kharazmi M, Kanatas A, Shum JW, Huang AT, Melville JC. Delayed extrusion of venous coupler: a rare complication following microvascular free tissue transfer. British Journal of Oral Maxillofacial Surgery. 2020 Oct;58(8):1062-1063.
- Chen DW, Ellis MA, Horwich P, Sandulache VC, Liou NE, Hernandez DJ, Sturgis EM, Graboyes EM, Hornig JD, Day TA, Huang AT. Free flap inset techniques in salvage laryngopharyngectomy repair: impact on fistula formation and function. Laryngoscope. 2021 Mar;131(3):E875-E881.
- Kharazmi M, Melville JC, Huang AT, Kanatas A, Shum J. SCC from a dentigerous cyst. Br Dent J. 2020 Jul;229(2):74.
- Graboyes EM, Hand BN, Ellis MA, Huang AT, Nilsen ML, Pipkorn P, Marsh CH, Maurer S, Day TA, Sterba KR. Validation of a novel, multi-domain head and neck cancer- and function-distress patient-reported outcome measure. Otolaryngology Head Neck Surgery. 2020 Nov;163(5):979-985.
- Srinivasan VM, Kan P, Huang AT, Burkhardt J. Occipital artery to middle meningeal cerebral artery bypass using the descending branch of the lateral circumflex femoral artery as an interposition graft for blood flow augmentation in progressive Moyamoya disease. World Neurosurgery. 2020 Jul 3;139:208-214.
- Fullmer TM, Shi J, Skinner HD, Hernandez DJ, Huang AT, Mai W, Parke RB, Donovan DT, Sandulache VC. Early glottic cancer in a veteran population: impact of race on management and outcomes. The Laryngoscope. 2020 Jul;130(7):1733-1739.
- Lindquist NR, Vinh DB, Appelbaum EN, Vrabec JT, Huang AT. Microvascular free tissue transfer and cochlear implants: a case series and literature review. The Laryngoscope. 2019 Jun;130(6):1552-1557.
- Hudson C, Wilde DC, Huang AT, Hernandez D, Sabichi AL, Chen G, Gerngross P, Logan B, Morlen R, Charnitsky S, Parke R, Sandulache VC. Development of a low resource tool for optimizing head and neck cancer treatment delivery within an integrated health care delivery system. Journal of Clinical Pathways. 2019;5(8):42-47.doi:10.25270/jcp.2019.10.00098.
- Fancy T, Huang AT, Kass JI, Lamarre ED, Tassone P, Mantravadi AV, Alwani MM, Subbarayan RS, Bur AM, Worley ML, Graboyes EM, McMullen CP, Azoulay O, Wax MK, Cave TB, Al-Khudari S, Abello EH, Higgins KM, Ryan JT, Orzell SC, Goldman RA, Vimawala S, Fernandes RP, Abdelmalik M, Rajasekaran K, L’Esperance HE, Kallogjeri D, Rich JT. Complications, mortality, and functional decline in patients 80 years and older undergoing major head and neck ablation and reconstruction – a multi-institutional cohort study. JAMA Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. 2019 Oct 10;145(12):1150-7.
- Chhabria K, Kansara S, Badr H, Stach C, Vernese M, Starr A, Harms A, Hernandez DJ, Huang AT, Chen G, Parke RB, Charnitsky S, Sandulache VC. Gastrostomy tube utilization by oropharyngeal cancer patients is partially driven by swallowing function. The Laryngoscope. 2020 Sep;130(9):2153-2159.
- Kansara S, Wang T, Koochakzadeh S, Liou NE, Graboyes EM, Skoner JM, Hornig JD, Sandulache VC, Day TA, Huang AT. Prognostic factors associated with achieving total oral diet following osteocutaneous microvascular free tissue transfer reconstruction of the oral cavity. Oral Oncology. 2019 Nov;98:1-7.
- Huang MF, Alfi D, Alfi J, Huang AT. The use of patient-specific implants in oral and maxillofacial surgery. Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery Clinics of North America.2019 Nov;31(4):593-600.
- Chen DW, Wang T, Shey-Sen Ni J, Sandulache VC, Graboyes EM, Worley M, Hornig JD, Skoner JM, Day TA, Huang AT. Prognostic factors associated with achieving total oral diet after glossectomy with microvascular free tissue transfer reconstruction. Oral Oncology. 2019;92:59-66.
- Worley ML, Graboyes EM, Blair J, Momin S, Day TA, Hornig JD, Skoner J, Huang AT. Factors associated with gastrostomy tube dependence following salvage total laryngectomy with microvascular free tissue transfer. Head & Neck. 2019;41:865-870.
- Zhan KY, Morgan PF, Neskey DM, Kim JJ, Huang AT, Garrett-Mayer E, Day TA. Preoperative predictors of occult nodal disease in cT1N0 oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma: review of 2623 cases. Head & Neck. 2018;40:1967-1976.
- Worley ML, Graboyes EM, Blair J, Momin S, Armeson KE, Day TA, Huang AT. Swallowing outcomes in elderly patients following microvascular reconstruction of the head and neck. Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. 2018;159(2):320-327.
- Graboyes EM, Schrank TP, Worley ML, Momin SR, Day TA, Huang AT. Thirty-day readmission in patients undergoing head and neck microvascular reconstruction. Head & Neck. 2018;40(7):1366-1374.
- Patro A, Guerrini CJ, Huang AT, Sikora AG. The patient who continues to smoke on-treatment: an ethical dilemma. Otolaryngololgy – Head and Neck Surgery. 2018;158:469-472.
- Huang AT, Day TA. Double paddle ulnar perforator free flap in reconstruction of through-and-through and fistulous defects of the head and neck. The Laryngoscope. 2017;127:1302-1305.
- Zhan KY, Huang AT, Khaja SF, Bell D, Day TA. Predictors of survival in parotid adenocarcinoma (not otherwise specified): a National Cancer Database Study of 3155 patients. Head & Neck. 2016;38:1208-1212.
- Huang AT, Tang C, Bell D, Yener M, Izquierdo L, Frank SJ, El-Naggar AK, Hanna EY, Weber RS, Kupferman ME. Prognostic factors in adenocarcinoma of the salivary glands. Oral Oncology. 2015;51:610-15.
- Le X, Huang AT, Chen Y, Lai SY. Regulation of receptor tyrosine kinases by miRNA: overexpression of miRNA using lentiviral inducible expression vectors. Methods in Molecular Biology. 2015;1233:135-147.
- Strub GM, Eaglin JM, Huang AT, Stevenson AW, Reiter ER. Chronic facial pain and Meckel cave masses as the initial presentation of neurosarcoidosis: a case report. ENT Journal. 2013;92:558-565.
- Huang AT, Song S, Dominguez LM, Nguyen J, Goldman R, Reiter ER. Delayed lower cranial neuropathies following primary radiotherapy for oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma. The Laryngoscope. 2013;123(5):1207-1209.
- Huang AT, Georgolios A, Espino S, Kaplan B, Neifeld J, Reiter ER. PEG site seeding from head and neck squamous cell carcinoma: a case series and literature review. Journal of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery. 2013;42:20-28.
- Huang AT, Dominguez LM, Powers CN, Reiter ER. Granular cell tumor of the cervical esophagus: case report and literature review of an unusual cause of dysphagia. Head and Neck Pathology. 2013;7:274-279.
- Huang AT, Tarasidis G, Yelverton JC, Burke A. A novel advancement flap for reconstruction of massive forehead and temple soft-tissue defects. The Laryngoscope. 2012;122(8):1679-1684.