Practice Contact Information
Nebraska Methodist Hospital
8303 Dodge Street
Phone: 402 354-5048
Areas of Interest in Head and Neck Surgery
Endocrine Surgery, Head and Neck Surgeon
With over 20 years in practice of head and neck surgery, Bill Lydiatt is Chair, Department of Surgery at Nebraska Methodist Hospital, Clinical Professor of Surgery at Creighton University in Omaha, Nebraska, and Clinical Professor of Otolaryngology at the United States Naval Hospital, Portsmouth, Virginia. He is also a lecturer at the UNMC College of Medicine and Dentistry and teaches an undergraduate and graduate course in the Department of Biology called the Art and Science of Medical Decision Making at the University of Nebraska, Omaha. He received a BS in Biology from Stanford University, MD and Residency in Otolaryngology at the University of Nebraska, fellowship in head and neck surgical oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center and a EMBA from the University of Colorado. Lydiatt’s clinical interest is in the care of patients with endocrine surgical disorders of the head and neck and oral cavity cancer and salivary gland neoplasms. He has a long standing interest in the prevention of depression in HNC patients. He also is interested in the use of the arts to enhance teaching and understanding of the patient experience. He is the current Vice-Chair of 8thEdition AJCC Head and Neck Staging Committee. He has over 130 publications, books and book chapters in the field.
We have a series of clinical trials that are open in a number of areas. One is a trial to treat HPV associated cancers of the tonsil and base of tongue using combinations of trans oral surgery followed by lower doses of radiation or chemotherapy when indicated. We are examining the question of whether we can reduce the dose of radiation to decrease the long term side effects without reducing the chance for cure.
1. Panwar A, Wang F, Lindau R, Militsakh O, Coughlin A, Smith R, Sayles H, Lydiatt D, Lydiatt W. Prediction of Discharge Destination following Laryngectomy. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Aug 21:194599818792211. doi: 10.1177/0194599818792211. [Epub ahead of print]
2. Militsakh O, Lydiatt W, Lydiatt D, Interval E, Lindau R, Coughlin A, Panwar A. Development of Multimodal Analgesia Pathways in Outpatient Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery and Association With Postoperative Opioid Prescription Patterns. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2018 Jul 19. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2018.0987. [Epub ahead of print]
3. Fletcher BS, Schumacher K, Cohen MZ, Kupzyk K, Lydiatt W. Understanding Functional Communication in Head and Neck Cancer Survivors Using a Mixed Methods Design.
Cancer Nurs. 2018 Feb 27. doi: 10.1097/NCC.0000000000000569. [Epub ahead of print]
4. Panwar A, Interval E, Lydiatt W. Emergence of a Novel Staging System for
Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma Based on HPV Status. Oncology (Williston
Park). 2017 Dec 15;31(12). pii: 460212 2018
5. Panwar A, Militsakh O, Lindaa R, Coughlin A, Sayles H, Rieke KF, Lydiatt W Lydiatt D, Smith R. Impact of Primary Tracheoesophageal Puncture on Outcomes after Total Larygectomy. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery 158: 103-109; 2018.
6. Justin Oltman, BS; Oleg Militsakh, MD; Mark D’Agostino, MD; Brittany Kauffman, BSN; Robert Lindau, MD; Andrew Coughlin, MD; William Lydiatt, MD; Daniel Lydiatt, MD, DDS; Russell Smith, MD; Aru Panwar,MD. Multimodal Analgesia in Outpatient Head and Neck Surgery. A Feasibility and Safety Study. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2017.1773. Published online October 19, 2017.
7. C.M. Glastonbury, S.K. Mukherji, B. O’Sullivan and W.M. Lydiatt. Setting the Stage for 2018: How the Changes in the American Joint Committee on Cancer/Union for International Cancer Control Cancer Staging Manual Eighth Edition Impact Radiologists. AJNR Am J Neuroradiol first published on 12 October 2017 doi:10.3174/ajnr.A5409
8. BrandonWachal, MD; Matthew Johnson, MD; Alissa Burchell, BSE; Harlan Sayles, MS; Katherine Rieke, MPH, MA; Robert Lindau, MD; William Lydiatt, MD; Aru Panwar,MD. Association of Modified Frailty Index Score With Perioperative Risk for Patients Undergoing Total Laryngectomy. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery 2017; doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2017.0412 Published online June 8, 2017.
9. Rieke K, Schmid KK, Lydiatt W, Houfek J, Boilesen E, Watanabe-Galloway S.Depression and survival in head and neck cancer patients. Oral Oncol. 2017 Feb;65:76-82. doi: 10.1016/j.oraloncology.2016.12.014. Epub 2017 Jan 1. PMID: 28109472
10. Lydiatt WM, Patel,SG, O’Sullivan B, Brandwein, MS, Ridge, JA, Migliacci JC Loomis AM, Shah JP. Head and Neck Cancers-Major Changes in the American Joint Committee on Cancer Eighth Edition Cancer Staging Manual. CA Cancer J Clin 2017;67:122-137.
11. Folsom C1, Serbousek K2, Lydiatt W3, Rieke K4, Sayles H4, Smith R3, Panwar A2,3 Impact of resident training on operative time and safety in hemithyroidectomy. Head Neck. 2017 Mar 6. doi: 10.1002/hed.24742. [Epub ahead of print] Head Neck. 2017 Jun;39(6):1212-1217.
12. Rieke K, Boilesen E, Lydiatt W, Schmid KK, Houfek J, Watanabe-Galloway S. Population-based retrospective study to investigate preexisting and new depression diagnosis among head and neck cancer patients. Cancer Epidemiol. 2016 Aug;43:42-8. doi: 10.1016/j.canep.2016.06.008. Epub 2016 Jul 5. PMID: 27391545
13. Jian Ji Pan, Wai Tong Ng, Jing Feng Zong, Sarah W. M. Lee, Horace C.W. Choi, Lucy L. K. Chan, Shao Jun Lin, Qiao Juan Guo, Henry C. K. Sze, Yun Bin Chen, You Ping Xiao, Wai Kuen Kan, Brian O’Sullivan, Wei Xu, Quynh Thu Le, Christine M. Glastonbury, A. Dimitrios Colevas, Randal S. Weber, William Lydiatt, Jatin P. Shah, and Anne W. M. Lee. Prognostic Nomogram for Refining the Prognostication of the Proposed 8th Edition of the AJCC/UICC Staging System for Nasopharyngeal Cancer in the Era of Intensity-Modulated Radiotherapy. Cancer Vol. 122, No. 21, 15.11.2016, p. 3307-3315.
14. Panwar, A, Lydiatt, W. Locally Advanced Squamous Carcinoma of the Head and Neck 2016-2017 UICC WHO Essential medicines for cancer update, Union for International Cancer Control & World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. (In Press)
15. Panwar A, Lydiatt W, Lydiatt D, Militsakh O, Lindau R, Wieland A, Smith RB, Richards A. “Vascularized tissue transfer in head & neck surgery: Is intensive care unit based management necessary?” Laryngoscope. 2016 Jan;126(1):73-9.