Practice Contact Information
Princess Margaret Cancer Centre, University of Toronto/Cancer Care Ontario
Email: [email protected]
Areas of surgical specialization in Head and Neck Surgery
Head and Neck Surgeon
Dr. Irish graduated with his M.D. degree in 1984 from the University of Toronto. He completed residency training at UCLA and at the University of Toronto. He completed his Master’s of Science degree in Molecular Biology at the Institute of Medical Science at the University of Toronto in 1991 where he studied the molecular biological characteristics of head and neck cancers. He completed the American Head and Neck Society Fellowship in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology in 1991 under Dr Patrick Gullane and joined the staff of the Toronto General Hospital and Princess Margaret Cancer Centre in 1992. He is currently Professor of Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery and Head of the Division of Head and Neck Oncology and Reconstructive Surgery at the University of Toronto. Dr. Irish served as President of the American Head and Neck Society for 2017-2018.
In 2000, Dr. Irish was appointed as the Chief of the Department of Surgical Oncology at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre and completed his term after 16 years in 2016. Since 2004, Dr. Irish has been a major health policy advisor and responsible for access to care, quality improvement and health care funding for the Surgical Oncology Program at Cancer Care Ontario which oversees the delivery of cancer services for 13.8 million people in the Province of Ontario, Canada. In 2004, Dr. Irish became the Clinical Lead for Access to Care (“Wait Times”) and Strategic Funding Initiatives for the Surgical Oncology Program at Cancer Care Ontario and is responsible for the Cancer Surgery Wait Times portfolio. He was the Provincial Clinical Lead for Access to Services and Wait Times for the Province of Ontario from 2008-2012. In 2008, Dr. Irish was appointed Provincial Head of the Surgical Oncology Program at Cancer Care Ontario. As the Provincial Head for Surgical Oncology, Dr Irish has provided provincial leadership and oversight linking volume funding to quality improvement. Many of the performance metrics associated with these initiatives are reported as part of the Cancer System Quality Index (http://www.csqi.on.ca/) and are on the CCO website (https://www.cancercareontario.ca/en/cancer-care-ontario/programs/clinical-services/surgical-oncology-program).
As the Kevin and Sandra Sullivan Chair in Surgical Oncology at the University of Toronto he has led a multidisciplinary program in Guided Therapeutics at UHN and is currently leading the Guided Therapeutics Core and is Director of Clinical Faculty for the TECHNA Institute at the University Health Network. In that capacity Dr Irish leads a multidisciplinary team of surgeons, engineers, physicists and nanoparticle biochemists in the development of novel nanomedicine-based contrast agents which in combination with near real-time navigation and tracking systems can create innovative solutions for minimal access surgical approaches in cancer therapy.
Dr. Irish has over 340 peer review publications and over 30 book chapters and has over $10M in peer-review funding for his research. In 2017 he and his co-PIs were awarded a $6.6M Terry Fox New Frontiers Program Project grant for nanoparticle therapy development and clinical trials.
Too numerous to mention
Journal Articles (only last 5 years are presented)
Total number of peer review papers = 346 as of May 21, 2018
- Tabanfar, R, Chan H, Lin V, Le T, Irish JC. Development and Face Validation of a Virtual Reality Epley Manoeuvre System (VREMS) for Home Epley Treatment of Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Am J Otolaryngol. 2017 Nov 14. pii: S0196-0709(17)30769-X. doi: 10.1016/j.amjoto.2017.11.006.
- Reis PP, Tokar T, Goswami RS, Moz LES, Xuan Y, Sukhai M, Perez-Ordonez B, Simpson C, Goldstein D, Brown D, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Irish J, Jurisica I, Kamel-Reid S. Independent Validation of a 4-Gene Signature Predictive of Local Recurrence in Histologically Negative Surgical Resection Margins from Patients with Oral Squamous Cell Carcinoma. JCO (submitted)
- Hosni A, Huang SH, Chiu K, Xu W, Su J, Bayley A, Bratman SV, Cho J, Giuliani M, Kim J, O’Sullivan B, Ringash J, Waldron J, Spreafico A, de Almeida JR, Monteiro E, Chepeha DB, Irish JC, Goldstein DP, Hope A. Salvage postoperative dose-intensified radiation therapy for early recurrence in oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. J Cl Oncology (submitted)
- Mah K, Lebel S, Irish J, Bezjak A, Payne A, Devins G. A two-dimensional model of disrupted body integrity: Initial evaluation in head and neck cancer. Supportive Care in Cancer https://doi.org/10.1007/s00520-018-4187-0
- Eskander A, Mifsud M, Irish J, Gullane P, Gilbert R, Brown D, de Almeida J, Urbach D, Goldstein DP. Overview of Surgery for Larynx and Hypopharynx Cancer In Ontario (2003-2010) Head&Neck. 2017 Aug;39(8):1559-1567.
- Eskander A, Hall SF, Manduch M, Griffiths R, Irish JC. A population-based study on NIFTP incidence and survival: Is NIFTP really a ‘benign’ disease? J Clinical Oncology (submitted)
- Lee CY, Chan H, Ujiie H, K, Kinoshita T, Irish JC, Yasufuku K. A novel thoracoscopic navigation system providing augmented real-time image guidance for chest wall tumors (in press)
- Chiu K, Huang SH, Hosni A, Tong L, Xu W, Lu L, Bayley A, Bratman S, Cho J, Giuliani ME, Kim JH, Ringash JG, Waldron JN, Spreafico A, Irish J, Gilbert RW, Gullane P, Goldstein D, O’Sullivan B, Hope AJ. The Potential Impact and Usability of 8th edition AJCC/UICC Staging Classification in Oral Cavity Cancer. (in press)
- Chiu K, Huang SH, Hosni A, Tong L, Xu W, Lu L, Bayley A, Bratman S, Cho J, Giuliani ME, Kim JH, Ringash JG, Waldron JN, Spreafico A, Irish J, Gilbert RW, Gullane P, Goldstein D, O’Sullivan B, Hope AJ. Outcomes of Oral Cavity Cancer Patients Treated with Definitive Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT). (in press)
- Eskander A, Krzyzanowska MK, Fischer HD, Liu N, Austin PC, Irish JC, Enepekides DJ, Lee J, Gutierrez E, Lockhart E, Raphael M, Singh S. Emergency department visits and unplanned hospitalizations in the treatment period for head and neck cancer patients: a population-based analysis. JAMA – Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery (in press)
- Muhanna N, Di Grappa M, Chan H, Cheng SJ, Zheng Y, Irish JC, Bratman SV. Cell-free DNA Kinetics in a Pre-clinical Model of Head and Neck Cancer. Scientific Reports-Nature. 2017 Dec 1;7(1):16723.
- Weimar EAM, Huang SH, Lu L, O’Sullivan B, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Tong L, Goldstein D, Hope A, Irish J, de Almeida JR, Bratman S, Xu W, Yu E. Radiologic-Pathologic Correlation of Tumor Thickness in Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Oral Cavity: Implications for the 8th Edition TNM Classification. International Journal of Radiation Oncology, Biology, Physics. (in press)
- Lalani N, Huang SH, Rostein C, Yu E, Irish JC, O’Sullivan B. Skull Base or Cervical Vertebral Osteomyelitis Following Chemoradiotherapy for Pharyngeal Carcinoma: a serious but treatable complication. Clinical and Translational Radiation Oncology. 2018, 8: 40-44.
- Muhanna N, de Almeida J, Irish J. Volumetric Analysis of Endoscopic and Maxillary Swing Surgical Approaches for Nasopharyngectomy. JNLS-B – Skull Base. (submitted). 2017
- Almulla A, Noel CW, Lu L, Xu W, Goldstein DP, Hope A, O’Sullivan B, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Irish J, Gullane P Chepeha D, Tong L, Yu E, Huang SH. Radiologic-Pathologic Correlation of Extranodal Extension in Patients with Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Oral Cavity: Implications for the 8Th Edition TNM (submitted).
- Czerwonka L, Bissada E, Goldstein DP, Wood RE, Lam EW, Yu E, Lazinski D, Irish JC. High-resolution cone-beam computed tomography for assessment of bone invasion in oral cancer: Comparison with conventional computed tomography. Head&Neck. 2017 Oct;39(10):2016-2020.
- Sullivan T, Irish J. Building the Ontario Surgical Oncology Program. Healthcare Management Forum. 2018 Jan;31(1):22-25.
- Furman M, Harild L, Anderson M, Irish JC, Nguyen K, Wright FC. The development of practice guidelines for a palliative multidisciplinary case conference. Journal of Pain and Symptom Management. 2018 Feb;55(2):395-401.(
- Davies JC, Bernstein J, Chan H, Goldstein D, Irish JC, Gilbert R. Three-dimensional morphological comparison of autologous scapular and iliac bone grafts in orbital floor reconstruction. J Cranio-Maxillofacial Surgery (in press)
- Ujiie H, Chan H, Hu H-p, Bernards N, Lee CY, Kinoshita T, Fujino K, Kato T, Gregor A, Jaffray DA, Irish JC, Zheng J, Yasufuku K. A multi-modal nano agent for image guided sentinel lymph node mapping. (submitted)
- Tsang Gordon FZ, Zhang Han, Yao C, Kolarski M, Gullane PJ, Irish JC, Brown DH, Chepeha DB, Goldstein DP, Gilbert RW, de Almeida JR. Hardware related complications in oromandibular defects: Comparing scapular and fibular based free flap reconstructions. Oral Oncology 71:163-168, 2017.
- Hosni A, McMullen C, Huang SH, Xu W, Su J, Bayley A, Bratman SV, Cho J, Giuliani M, Kim J, Ringash J, Waldron J, Spreafico A, Weinreb I, de Almeida JR, Brown DH, Irish JC, O’Sullivan B, Goldstein DP, Hope A. Lymph node ratio relationship to regional failure and distant metastases in oral cavity cancer. Radiother Oncol. 124(2):225-231, 2017.
- Chan MW, Yu E, O’Sullivan B, Su J, Waldron J, Ringash J, Bratman SV, Chen YA, Irish J, Kim J, Gullane P, Gilbert R, Chepeha D, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Hansen A, Tong L, Xu W, Huang SH. Morphologic and topographic radiologic features of human papillomavirus-related and unrelated oropharyngeal carcinoma. Head Neck. 2017 June 5. Doi:10.1002/hed.24764 (in press).
- Wasserman JK, Dickson BC, Perez-Ordonez B, de Almeida JR, Irish JC, Weinreb I. INI1 (SMARCB1)-deficient Sinonasal Carcinoma: A clinicopathological report of 2 cases. Head and Neck Pathol 2017 Jun;11(2):256-261.
- Lee DJ, Xu JJ, Brown DH, Gilbert RW, Gullane PJ, Irish JC, Rotstein LE, Goldstein DP, de Almeida JR. Determining Patient Preferences for Indeterminate Thyroid Nodules: Observation, Surgery, or Genetic Tests. World J Surgery. 2017 Jun;41(6):1513-1520.
- Bernstein JM, Irish JC, Brown DH, Goldstein D, Chung P, Razak AR, Catton C, Gilbert RW, Gullane PJ, O’Sullivan B. Survival Outcomes for Cutaneous Angiosarcomas of the Scalp versus Face. Head&Neck. 2017 Jun; 39(6):1205-1211. doi:10.1002/hed.24747
- Xu JJ, Yu E, McMullen C, Pasternak J, Brierley J, Tsang R, Zhang H,Eskander A, Rotstein L, Sawka AM, Gilbert R, Irish J, Gullane P, Brown D, de Almeida J, Goldstein DP. Patterns of Regional Recurrence in Papillary Thyroid Cancer Patients with Lateral Neck Metastases Undergoing Neck Dissection J Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery. 2017 May 31;46(1):43.
- Mifsud M, Eskander A, Irish JC, Gullane, PJ, Gilbert RW, Brown DH, de Almeida J, Urbach DR, Goldstein DP. Evolving trends in Head and Neck Cancer Epidemiology: the Case of Ontario, Canada (1993 – 2010). Head and Neck 39(9):1770-1778.
- Queenan JA, Gottlieb BH, Feldman-Stewart D, Hall SF, Irish J, Groome PA. Symptom Appraisal and Help-Seeking and Lay-Consultancy for Symptoms of Head and Neck Cancer. Psycho-Oncology. 2017 May 23. doi: 10.1002/pon. 4458.
- Yao CM, Ziai H, Tsang G, Copeland A, Brown D, Irish JC, Gilbert RW, Goldstein DP, Gullane PJ, de Almeida JR. Surgical Site Infection following Oral Cancer Resection and Reconstruction is a Risk Factor for Plate Exposure. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2017 Apr 8;46(1):30. doi:10.1186/s40463-017-0206-2.
- Tabanfar R, Qiu J, Chan H, Aflatouni N, Weersink R, Hasan W, Irish JC. Real-time continuous image guided surgery (RTC-IGS): preclinical investigation in glossectomy. 2017 Mar 21. Doi: 10.1002/lary.26585. (in press)
- Bernstein JM, Daly MJ, Chan H, Qiu J, Goldstein D, Muhanna N, de Almeida J, Irish JC. Accuracy and reproducibility of virtual cutting guides and 3D-Navigation for osteotomies of the mandible and maxilla. PLOS One. 2017 Mar1. 12(3): e0173111.doi:10.1371/ journal.pone.0173111
- Ma AK, Daly M, Qiu J, Chan HHL, Goldstein DP, Irish JC, de Almeida JR, Intraoperative Image Guidance in Transoral Robotic Surgery-A Pilot Study. Head&Neck. 2017 Oct;39(10):1976-1983.
- Alsaffar HA, Goldstein D, Emma E, de Almeida J, Brown D, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Espin O, Xu W, Irish J. Correlation between clinical and radiographic assessment of depth of invasion in oral tongue squamous cell carcinoma; prospective descriptive study. Journal of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. 2016 Nov22;45:61.
- Hosni A, McMullen C, Goldstein D, Huang SH, Xu W, Song Y, Bayley A, Bratman SV, Cho J, Giuliani ME, Kim JJ, Ringash JG, Waldron JN, de Almeida JR, Brown D, Gullane PJ, Gilbert RW, Irish J, O’Sullivan B, Hope AJ. Impact of Lymph Node Count in Neck Dissection on Regional and/or Distant Failure in pT1-2 pN0-1 Oral Cavity Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2016 Oct 1; 96(2S):E349.
- Hall SF, Irish JC, Groome P, Griffiths R, Hurlburt D. Did lower risk thyroid cancer patients who lived in regions with more aggressive treatments have better outcomes? Thyroid. 2017 Aug 29. doi: 10.1089/thy.2017.0103.
- Sternheim A, Kashigar A, Daly M, Chan H, Qiu J, Weersink R, Jaffray D, Irish J, Ferguson P, Wunder J. Navigation in Complex Osteotomies Improves Accuracy at all Levels of Competence: A study assessing accuracy and reproducibility of joint sparing bone cuts. J Bone and Joint Surgery. (in press)
- Vescan A, Chan H, Qiu J, Vescan A, Witterick IJ, Dixon BJ, Daly MJ , Irish JC. Three-dimensional virtual navigation versus conventional image guidance: A randomized controlled trial. Laryngoscope. 2016 Apr 14. 126: 1510-5. doi: 10.1002/lary.25882
- Keca JM, Chen J, Overchuk M, Muhanna N, MacLaughlin CM, Jin CS, Foltz WD, Irish JC, Zheng G. Nanotexaphyrin: One-Pot Synthesis of a Manganese Texapyrin-Phospholipid Nanoparticle for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. Angew Chem Int Ed Engl 2016 Apr 13. Doi:10.1002/anie.201600234.
- Eskander A, Goldstein DP, Irish JC. Health Services Research and Regionalization of Care-From Policy to Practice: the Ontario Experience in Head and Neck Cancer. Curr Oncol Rep. 2016 Mar;18(3):19. doi: 10.1007/s11912-016-0500-6.
- Passador-Santos F, Grönroos M, Irish J, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Perez-Ordonez B, Mäkitie A, Leivo I. Clinicopathological characteristics and cell cycle proteins as potential prognostic factors in myoepithelial carcinoma of salivary glands. Virchows Arch. 2016 Mar;468(3):305-12.
- Muhanna N, Ciu L, Chan H, Burgess L, Jin CS, MacDonald TD, Huynh E, Wang F, Chen J, Irish JC, Zheng G. Multimodal Image-Guided Surgical and Photodynamic Interventions in Head-and-Neck Cancer: From Primary Tumor to Metastatic Drainage. Clinical Cancer Research. 2016 Feb 15;22(4):961-70.
- Vengalil S, Giuliani M, Huang SH, McNiven A, Song Y, Xu W, Chan B, Hope A, Cho J, Bayley A, Ringash J, Goldstein D, Razak A, Irish J, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Waldron J, Kim J, O’Sullivan B. Clinical outcomes for T4 laryngeal cancer treated with primary radiotherapy versus primary laryngectomy. Head Neck. 2016 Apr;38 Suppl 1:E2035-40. doi: 10.1002/hed.24374. Epub 2016 Feb 1.
- Eskander A, Monteiro E, Irish J, Gullane P, Gilbert R, de Almeida J, Brown D, Freeman J, Urbach DR, Goldstein DP. Adherence to guideline-recommended process measures for squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck in Ontario: Impact of surgeon and hospital volume. Head Neck. 2016 Apr;38 Suppl 1:E1987-92. doi: 10.1002/hed.24364. Epub 2016 Feb 1.
- Lebel S, Payne AYM, Mah K, Irish J, Rodin G, Devins GM. Do stigma and its psychosocial impact differ between Asian-born Chinese immigrants and Western-born Caucasians with head and neck cancer? Psychology & Health. 2016 Feb;5:1-10.
- Givi B, Eskander A, Awad MI, Kong Q, Montero PH, Palmer FL, Xu W, de Almeida JR, Lee N, O’Sullivan B, Irish JC, Gilbert R, Ganly I, Patel SG, Goldstein DP, Morris LG. The Impact of Elective Neck Dissection on the Outcome of Oral Squamous Cell Carcinomas arising in the Maxillary Alveolus & Hard Palate. Head Neck. 2015 Nov 28. [Epub ahead of print]. In Press.
- Devins, G.M., Wong, J.C., Payne, A.Y.M., Lebel, S., Lee, R.N.F., Mah, K., Irish, J., & Rodin, G. Distancing, self-esteem, and subjective well-being in head and neck cancer. Psychooncology. 2015 Nov 5;24(11):1506-1513.
- Erovic BM, Shah MD, Bruch G, Johnston U, Kim J, O’Sullivan B, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Atenafu EG, de Almeida JR, Gullane PJ, Brown D, Gilbert RW, Irish JC and Goldstein DP. Outcome analysis of 215 patients with parotid gland tumors: a retrospective cohort analysis. J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg.
- Muhanna N, Jin CS, Huynh E, Chan H, Qiu Y, Jiang W, Cui L, Burgess L, Akens MK, Chen J, Irish JC, Zheng G. Phototheranostic Porphyrin Nanoparticles Enable Visualization and Targeted Treatment of Head and Neck Cancer in Clinically Relevant Models. Theranostics. 2015 Oct 18;5(12):1428-43.
- Hall SF, O’Sullivan B, Irish JC, Meyer RM, Gregg R, Groome P. Impact of the addition of chemotherapy to radiotherapy for oropharyngeal cancer in 2003-2004: Population-based study from the Province of Ontario, Canada. Head Neck. 2015 Oct;37(10):1461-9.
- Zheng J, Muhanna N, De Souza R, Wada H, Chan H, Aken MK, Anayama T, Yasufuku K, Serra S, Irish J, Allen C, Jaffray DA. A Multi-Modal Nano Agent for Image-Guided Surgery. Biomaterials. 2015 Oct;67:160-8.
- Chan H, Siewerdsen JH, Vescan A, Daly MJ, Prisman E, Irish JC. 3D Rapid Prototyping for Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery: Applications in Image-Guidance, Surgical Simulation and Patient-Specific Modeling. PLOS ONE. 2015 Sep 2;10(9):e0136370.
- Muhanna N, Mepham A, Mohamadi RM, Chan H, Khan T, Akens M,Besant JD, Irish J, Kelley S. Nanoparticle-Based Sorting of Circulating Tumor Cells by Epithelial Antigen Expression During Disease Progression in an Animal Model. Nanomedicine. 2015 Oct;11(7):1613-20. doi: 10.1016/j.nano.2015.04.017. Epub 2015 May 14.
- Muhanna N, MacDonald TD, Chan H, Jin CS, Burgess L, Cui L, Chen J, Irish J, Zheng G. Multimodal Nanoparticle for Primary Tumor Delineation and Lymphatic Metastasis Mapping in A Head-and-Neck Cancer Rabbit Model. Advanced Healthcare Materials. 2015 Aug. doi: 10.1002/adhm.201500363 [Epub ahead of print]. In Press.
- Noel CW, Lee DJ, Kong Q, Xu W, Simpson C, Brown D, Gilbert RW, Gullane PJ, Irish JC, Huang SH, O’Sullivan B, Goldstein DP, de Almeida JR. Comparison of Health State Utility Measures in the Head and Neck Cancer Patient Population. JAMA Oto Head Neck Surg. 2015 Aug;141(8):696-703.
- Huang SH, Patel S, O’Sullivan B, Shen X, Xu W, Weinreb I, Perez-Ordonez B, Irish J, Waldron J, Gullane P, Gilbert R, Brown D, Kim J, Freeman J, de Almeida JR, Goldstein D. Longer survival in patients with human papillomavirus-related head and neck cancer after positive postradiation planned neck dissection. Head and Neck. 2015 Jul;37(7):946-52.
- Sahgal A, Chan MW, Atenafu EG, Masson-Cote L, Bahl G, Yu E, Millar BA, Chung C, Catton C, O’Sullivan B, Irish JC, Gilbert R, Zadeh G, Cusimano M, Gentili F, Laperriere NJ. Image-Guided Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IG-IMRT) for Skull Base Chordoma and Chondrosarcoma: Preliminary outcomes. Neuro Oncol. 2015 Jun 17;17(6):889-94.
- Eskander A, Irish J, Gullane P, Gilbert R, de Almeida JR, Freeman J, Giuliani M, Urbach DR, Goldstein DP. Overview of Surgery for Oral Cavity Cancer in Ontario. Head Neck. 2015 Jun 3. doi: 10.1002/hed.24141 [Epub ahead of print]. In Press.
- Wada H, Hirohashi K, Anayama T, Nakajima T, Kato T, Chan H, Qiu J, Daly M, Weersink R, Jaffray DA, Irish JC, Waddell TK, Keshavjee S, Yoshino I, Yasufuku K. Minimally Invasive Multi-modal Near-Infrared-Guided Sentinel Lymph Node Mapping in the Porcine Lung. PLOS ONE. 2015 May 20;10(5):e0126945.
- Yla-Kotola T, Goldstein DP, Hofer SO, Patel SN, Brown DH, Irish JC, Gullane PJ, Gilbert R. Facial Nerve Reconstruction and Facial Disfigurement after Radical Parotidectomy. J Reconstr Microsurg. 2015 May 1;31(4):313-318.
- Mok G, Gauthier I, Jiang H, Huang SH, Chan K, Witterick IJ, O’Sullivan B, Waldron JN, Bayley AJ, Cho BCJ, Cummings B, Dawson LA, Hope AJ, Kim JJ, Ringash J. Outcomes of IMRT for hypopharyngeal cancer compared to conventional radiotherapy. Head Neck. 2015 Apr 28;37(5):655-61.
- Patel SN, Cohen MA, Givi B, Dixon BJ, Gilbert RW, Gullane PJ, Brown DH, Irish JC, de Almeida JR, Higgins KM, Enepekides D, Huang SH, Waldron J, O’Sullivan B, Xu W, Su S, Goldstein DP. Salvage surgery of locally recurrent oropharyngeal cancer. Head Neck. 2016 Apr;38 Suppl 1:E658-64. doi: 10.1002/hed.24065. Epub 2015 Jul 15.
- Johnston M, Huang SH, Waldrvenon JN, Atenafu EG, Chan K, Cummings BJ, Gilbert RW, Goldstein D, Gullane PJ, Irish JC, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Bayley AJ, Cho J, Dawson LA, Hope A, Ringash J, Witterick IJ, O’Sullivan B, Kim J. Salivary duct carcinoma: treatment, outcomes and patterns of failure. Head Neck. 2016 Apr;38 Suppl 1:E820-6. doi: 10.1002/hed.24107. Epub 2015 Jul 15.
- Cui L, Lin Q, Jin C, Jiang W, Huang H, Ding L, Muhanna N, Irish JC, Wang F, Chen J, Zheng G. A PEGylation-free Biomimetic Porphyrin Nanoplatform for Personalized Cancer Theranostics. ACS Nano. 2015 Apr 6;9(4):4484-95.
- Huang SH, Xu W, Waldron J, Siu L, Shen XW, Tong L, Ringash J, Bayley A, Kim J, Hope A, Cho J, Giuliani M, Hansen A, Irish J, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Liu FF, O’Sullivan B. Refining American Joint Committee on Cancer/Union for International Cancer Control TNM Stage and Prognostic Groups for Human Papillomavirus–Related Oropharyngeal Carcinomas. J Clin Oncol. 2015 Mar 10;33(8):836-45.
- Magalhaes MA, Irish JC, Weinreb I, Perez-Ordonez B. Adenosquamous Carcinoma of Hypopharynx with Intestinal-Phenotype. Head Neck Pathol. 2015 Mar;9(1):114-8.
- Goldstein DP, Ringash J, Irish JC, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Brown D, Xu W, Del Bel R, Chepeha D, Davis AM. Assessment of the Disabilities of the Arm, Shoulder, and Hand (DASH) questionnaire for use in patients after neck dissection for head and neck cancer. Head Neck. 2015 Feb 1;37(2):234-42.
- McFadyen C, Lankshear S, Divaris D, Berry M, Hunter A, Srigley J, Irish J. Physician level reporting of surgical and pathology performance indicators: A regional study to assess feasibility and impact on quality. Canadian Journal of Surgery. 2015 Feb;58(1):31-40.
- The Cancer Genome Atlas Network*. Comprehensive genomic characterization of head and neck squamous cell carcinomas. Nature. 2015 Jan 29;517:576-582. C
- Sternheim A, Daly M, Qiu J, Weersink R, Chan H, Jaffray D, Irish JC, Ferguson PC, Wunder JS. Navigated pelvic osteotomy and tumor resection: a study assessing the accuracy and reproducibility of resection planes in Sawbones and cadavers. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2015 Jan 7;97(1):40-6.
- Anayama T, Qiu J, Chan H, Nakajima T, Weersink R, Daly M, McConnell J, Waddell T, Keshavjee S, Jaffray D, Irish JC, Hirohashi K, Wada H, Orihashi K, Yasufuku K. Localization of pulmonary nodules using navigation bronchoscope and a near-infrared fluorescence thoracoscope. Ann Thorac Surg. 2015 Jan 1;99(1):224-30.
- Haerle SK, Daly MJ, Chan H, Vescan A, Witterick I, Gentili F, Zadeh G, Kucharczyk W, Irish JC. Localized Intraoperative Virtual Endoscopy (LIVE) for Surgical Guidance in 16 Skull Base Patients. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2015 Jan;152(1):165-71.
- Wang JR, Habbous S, Espin-Garcia O, Chen D, Huang SH, Simpson C, Xu W, Liu F, Brown DH, Gilbert RW, Gullane PJ, Irish JC, Goldstein DP, Liu G. Comorbidity and performance status as independent prognostic factors in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma patients. Head Neck. 2014 Dec 18. doi: 10.1002/hed.23947 [Epub ahead of print]. In Press.
- Eskander A, Irish J, Freeman J, Gullane P, Gilbert R, Groome PA, Hall SF, Urbach DR, Goldstein DP. Overview of major salivary gland cancer surgery in Ontario (2003-2010). Journal of Otolaryngology – Head & Neck Surgery. 2014 Dec 10;43(1):50.
- Eskander A, Irish J, Groome PA, Freeman J, Gullane P, Gilbert R, Hall SF, Urbach DR, Goldstein DP. Volume-Outcome Relationships for Head and Neck Cancer Surgery In a Universal Health Care System. 2014 124:2081-2088.
- Monteiro E, Sklar MC, Eskander A, de Almeida JR, Shrime M, Gullane P, Irish J, Gilbert R, Brown D, Higgins K, Enepekides D, Goldstein DP. Assessment of the Clavien-Dindo classification system for complications in head and neck surgery. Laryngoscope. 2014 Dec 1;124(12):2726-31.
- Sepiashvili L, Waggott D, Hui A, Shi W, Su S, Ignatchenko I, Ignatchenko V, Laureano M, Huang SS, Xu W, Waldron J, O’Sullivan B, Irish JC, Boutros PC, Liu FF, Kislinger T. Integrated omic analysis of oropharyngeal carcinomas reveals human papillomavirus (HPV)-dependent regulation of the activator protein 1 (AP-1) pathway. Mol Cell Proteomics. 2014 Dec;13(12):3572-84.
- Eskander A, Merdad M, Irish JC, Hall SF, Groome PA, Freeman JL, Urbach DR, Goldstein DP. Volume-Outcome Associations in Head & Neck Cancer Treatment: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. Head and Neck. 2014 Dec;36(12):1820-34.
- Hall SF, Irish JC, Gregg RW, Groome PA, Rohland S. Adherence and uptake of clinical practice guidelines: Lessons learned from a CPG on concomitant chemotherapy with radiotherapy in head and neck cancer. Currenct Oncology. 2014 Oct 7. In Press. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Weinreb I, Zhang L, Tirunagari LMS, Sung YS, Chen LC, Perez-Ordonez B, Clarke BA, Skalova A, Chiosea SI, Seethala RR, Waggott DI, Boutros PC, How C, Irish JC, Goldstein DP, Gilbert R, Din N, Assaad A, Hornick JL, Thompson LDR, Antonescu CR. Novel PRKD gene rearrangements and variant fusions in cribriform adenocarcinoma of salivary gland origin. Genes Chromosomes and Cancer. 2014 Oct;53(10):845-856. Coauthor or Collaborator.
- Goldstein DP, Ringash J, Bissada E, Jaquet Y, Irish JC, Chepeha D, Davis AM. Evaluation of shoulder disability questionnaires used for the assessment of shoulder disability after neck dissection for head and neck cancer. Head Neck. 2014 Oct;36(10):1453-8.
- Dixon BJ, Daly MJ, Chan HH, Vescan A, Witterick IJ, Irish JC. Inattentional blindness increased with augmented reality surgical navigation. Am J Rhinol Allergy. 2014 Sep 1;28(5):433-7.
- Gilbert J, Dobrow MJ, Kaan M, Dobranowski J, Srigley J, Jusko Friedman A, Irish J. Creation of a Diagnostic Wait Times Measurement Framework Based on Evidence and Consensus. Journal of Oncology Practice. 2014 Sep;10(5):e373-9.
- Prisman E, Haerle SK, Irish JC, Daly M, Chan HHL. Value of preoperative mandibular plating in reconstruction of the mandible. Head Neck. 2014 Jul 31;36:828-833.
- Hall S, Irish J, Groome P, Urbach D. Practice patterns in the management of patients with differentiated thyroid cancer in Ontario Canada 2000-2008. Journal of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 2014 Jul 24;43:29.
- Zhong T, Fernandes KA, Saskin R, Sutradhar R, Platt J, Beber BA, Novak CB, Hofer SO, Irish J, Baxter NA. Barriers to Immediate Breast Reconstruction in the Canadian Universal Healthcare System. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2014 Jul 10;32(20):2133-41.
- Bressmann T, Foltz A, Zimmermann J & Irish JC. Production of tongue twisters by speakers with partial glossectomy. Clinical Linguistics & Phonetics. 2014 Jul;21:1-14.
- McCord C, Xu J, Xu W, Qiu X, Muhanna N, Irish J, Leong I, McComb RJ, Perez-Ordonez B, Bradley G. Association of Human Papillomavirus with Atypical and Malignant Oral Papillary Lesions. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2014 Jun;117(6):722-32.
- Cervigne NK, Machado J, Goswami RS, Sadikovic B, Bradley G, Perez-Ordonez B, Galloni N, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Irish JC, Jurisica I, Reis PP, Kamel-Reid S. Recurrent genomic alteration in sequential progressive leukoplakia and oral cancer: drivers of oral tumorigenesis? Human Molecular Genetics. 2014 May 15;23(10):2618-28.
- Dixon BJ, Daly MJ, Chan H, Vescan A, Witterick IJ, Irish JC. Augmented real-time navigation with critical structure proximity alerts for endoscopic skull base surgery. Larygnoscope. 2014 Apr;124(4):853-9.
- Hall S, Irish J, Groome P, Griffiths R. Access, excess and overdiagnosis: the case for thyroid cancer. Cancer Medicine. 2014 Feb;3(1):154-61.
- Goldstein DP, Ringash J, Bissada E, Jaquet Y, Irish J, Chepeha D, Davis AM. Scoping review of the literature on shoulder impairments and disability after neck dissection. Head Neck. 2014 Feb;36(2):299-308.
- Brar S, Provvidenza C, Hunter A, Victor J, Irish J, McLeod R, Wright F. Improving Multidisciplinary Cancer Conferences: A Population-Based Intervention. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2014 Jan;21(1):16-21.
- Erovic BM, Chan, HHL, Daly MJ, Pothier DD, Yu E, Coulson C, Lai P, Irish JC. Intraoperative Cone-Beam Computed Tomography and Multi-Slice Computed Tomography in Temporal Bone Imaging for Surgical Treatment. Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery. 2014 Jan;150(1):107-14.
- Huang SH, O’Sullivan B, Xu W, Zhao H, Chen DD, Ringash J, Hope A, Razak A, Gilbert R, Irish J, Kim J, Dawson LA, Bayley AJ, Cho BCJ, Goldstein D, Gullane P, Yu E, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Waldron J. Temporal Nodal Regression and Regional Control Following Primary Radiotherapy for N2-N3 Head and Neck Cancer Stratified by HPV Status. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2013 Dec 18;87(5):1078-85.
- Haerle S, Shiau C, Goldstein D, Qiu X, Erovic B, Ghazarian D, Xu W, Irish J. Merkel Cell Carcinoma of the Head and Neck: Potential Histopathologic Predictors. Laryngoscope. 2013 Dec;123(12):3043-8.
- Erovic BM, MD, Daly MJ, Chan H, James AL, Papsin BC, Pothier DD, Dixon B, Irish JC. Evaluation of intraoperative cone-beam CT and optical drill tracking in temporal bone surgery. Laryngoscope. 2013 Nov;123(11):2823-8.
- Perez-Ordonez B, Irish J, Yu E, Gillison ML. Human Papillomavirus-16 associated Adenocarcinoma NOS of Base of Tongue. Head and Neck Pathology. 2013 Sep;7(3):268-73.
- Kashigar A, Habbous S, Liu G, Eng L, Irish B, Bissada E, Irish J, Brown D, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Xu W, Huang SH, Witterick I, Freeman J, O’Sullivan B, Waldron J, Goldstein D. Social environment, secondary smoking exposure, and smoking cessation among head and neck cancer patients. Cancer. 2013 Aug;119(15):2701-9.
- King E, Daly M, Chan H, Bachar G, Dixon BJ, Siewerdsen J, Irish JC. Intraoperative cone-beam CT for head and neck surgery: Feasibility of clinical implementation using a prototype mobile C-Arm. Head and Neck. 2013 Jul;35(7):959-67.
- Srigley J, Lankshear S, Brierley J, McGowan T, Divaris D, Yurcan M, Rossi R, Yardley T, King MJ, Ross J, Irish J, McLeod R, Sawka C. Closing the Quality Loop: Facilitating Improvement in Oncology Practice Through Timely Access to Clinical Performance Indicators. Journal of Oncology Practice. 2013 Jul;9(5):e255-61.
- Wong JC, Payne AYM, Mah K, Lebel S, Lee RNF, Irish J, Rodin G, Devins GM. Negative cancer stereotypes and disease-specific self-concept in head and neck cancer. Psychooncology. 2013 Jun;22(5):1055-1063.
- Fung MFK, Kennedy EB, Biagi J, Colgan T, D’Souza D, Elit L, Hunter A, Irish J, McLeod R, Rosen B and members of the Gynecologic Oncology Organizational Guideline Expert Panel. A Quality Initiative of the Program in Evidence-Based Care (PEBC), Cancer Care Ontario (CCO) – Organizational Guideline for Gynecologic Oncology Services. Int J Gynecol Cancer. 2015;25(4):551-8.
- Shinghal T, Bissada E, Chan HB, Wood RE, Atenafu EG, Brown DH, Gilbert RW, Gullane PJ, Irish JC, Waldron J, Goldstein DP. Medial Mandibulectomies: Is there sufficient space in the midline to allow a mandibulotomy without compromising the dentition? J Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 May 2;42(1):32.
- Wang SJ, Patel SG, Shah JP, Goldstein DP, Irish JC, Carvalho AL, Kowalski LP, Lockhart JL, Holland JM, Gross ND. An oral cavity carcinoma nomogram to predict benefit of adjuvant radiotherapy. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2013 May;139(6):554-9.
- Erovic BM, Al Habeeb A, Harris L, Goldstein DP, Kim D, Ghazarian D, Irish JC. Identification of novel target proteins in sebaceous gland carcinoma. Head & Neck. 2013 May;35(5):642-8.
- Wang JR, Gramling S, Goldstein DP, Cheng D, Chen D, Azad AK, Tse A, Hon H, Chen Z, Mirshams M, Simpson C, Huang SH, O’Sullivan B, Liu F-F, Roberts H, Xu W, Brown DH, Gilbert RW, Gullane PJ, Irish JC, Reisman DN, Liu G. Association of Two BRM Promoter Polymorphisms with Head and Neck Squamous Cell Carcinoma Risk. Carcinogenesis. 2013 May;34(5):1012-7.
- Goldstein D, Bachar GY, Lea J, Shrime MG, Patel RS, Gullane PJ, Brown DH, Gilbert RW, Kim J, Waldron J, Perez-Ordonez P, Davis AM, Cheng L, Xu W, Irish JC. Outcomes of squamous cell carcinoma of the oral tongue managed at Princess Margaret Hospital. Head and Neck. 2013 May;35(5):632-41.
- Lebel S, Feldstain A, McCallum M, Beattiea S, Irish J, Bezjak A, and Devins GM. Do behavioural self-blame and stigma predict positive health changes in survivors of lung or head and neck cancers? Psychololgy & Health. 2013 Apr;28(9):1066-81.
- Eskander A, Givi B, Gullane PJ, Irish JC, Brown D, Gilbert RW, Hope A, Weinreb I, Xu W, Goldstein DP. Outcome predictors in squamous cell carcinoma of the maxillary alveolus and hard palate. Laryngoscope. 2013 Apr;123(10):2453-2458.
- Erovic BM, Goldstein DP, Kim D, Al Habeeb A, Waldron J, Ghazarian D, Irish JC. Sebaceous gland carcinoma of the head and neck: The Princess Margaret Hospital experience. Head and Neck. 2013 Mar;35(3):316-20.
- Devins GM, Payne AYM, Lebel S, Mah K, Lee RNF, Irish JC, Wong J, Rodin GM. The burden of stress in head and neck cancer. Psychooncology. 2013 Mar;22(3):668-76.
- O’Sullivan B, Huang SH, Siu LL, Waldron J, Zhao H, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Kim J, Ringash J, Bayley A, Dawson LA, Hope A, Cho J, Irish J, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Hui A, Liu F-F, Chen E, Xu W. De-intensification Candidate Subgroups in HPV-related Oropharyngeal Cancer According to Minimal Risk of Distant Metastasis. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2013 Feb 10;31(5):543-550.
- Eskander A, Devins GM, Freeman J, Wei A, Rotstein L, Chauhan N, Sawka A, Brown D, Irish JC, Gilbert R, Gullane P, Higgins K, Enepekides D, Goldstein DP. Waiting for Thyroid Surgery: A study of psychological morbidity and determinants of health associated with long wait times for thyroid surgery. Laryngoscope. 2013 Feb;123(2):541-7.
- Dixon BJ, Daly MJ, Chan H, Vescan A, Witterick I, Irish JC. Surgeons blinded by enhanced navigation: the effect of augmented reality on attention. Surgical Endoscopy. 2013 Feb;27(2):454-61.
- Hui ABY, Lin A, Xu W, Waldron L, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Shi W, Bruce J, Huang S, O’Sullivan B, Waldron J, Gullane P, Irish JC, Siu L, Liu F-F. Potentially Prognostic Micro-RNAs in HPV-Associated Oropharyngeal Carcinomas. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2013 Feb;19(8):2154-62.
- Sundaresan S, McLeod R, Irish J, Burns J, Hunter A, Meertens E, Langer B, Stern H, Sherar M. Early Results After Regionalization of Thoracic Surgical Practice in a Single-Payer System. Ann Thorac Surg. 2013 Feb;95(2):472-9.
- Erovic BM, Al Habeeb A, Harris L, Goldstein DP, Ghazarian D, Irish JC. Significant overexpression of the Merkel cell polyomavirus (MCPyV) large T antigen in Merkel cell carcinoma. Head Neck. 2013 Feb;35(2):184-9.
- Huang SH, Perez-Ordonez B, Weinreb I, Hope A, Massey Ch, Waldron JN, Kim J, Bayley AJ, Cummings B, Cho BCJ, Ringash J, Dawson LA, Siu LL, Chen E, Irish J, Gullane P, Hui A, Liu FF, Shen X, Xu W, O’Sullivan B. Natural course of distant metastases following radiotherapy or chemotherapy in HPV-related oropharyngeal cancer. Oral Oncology. 2013 Jan;49(1):79-85.
- Erovic BM, Goldstein DP, Kim D, Mete O, Brierley J, Tsang R, Freeman J, Asa SL, Rotstein L, Irish JC. Parathyroid cancer: Outcome analysis of 16 patients treated at the Princess Margaret Hospital. Head and Neck. 2013 Jan;35(1):35-9.
- Eskander A, Freeman J, Rotstein L, Gilbert R, Brown D, Gullane P, Irish J, Sawka A, Higgins K, Enepekides D, Goldstein DP. Response rates for mail-out survey-driven studies in patients waiting for thyroid surgery. Journal of Otolaryngology-Head & Neck Surgery. 2012 Dec;40(6):462-7.