Practice Contact Information
Huntsman Cancer Institute, University of Utah School of Medicine
50 N. Medical Drive, Rm 3C120
Salt Lake City
Web Site: https://healthcare.utah.edu/fad/mddetail.php?physicianID=u0974850
Areas of Interest in Head and Neck Surgery
Endocrine Surgery, Head and Neck Research, Head and Neck Surgeon
Marcus Monroe, M.D., is an assistant professor in the Division of Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery, Department of Surgery at the University of Utah School of Medicine. He is a surgeon and investigator with the Huntsman Cancer Institute where he specializes in the complex multidisciplinary care of patients with head and neck cancer.
His clinical practice involves treating patients with cancers of the upper aerodigestive tract (sinuses, oral cavity, pharynx and larynx), neck, thyroid, parathyroid, and salivary glands. In addition, he has a special interest in the treatment of melanoma and advanced skin cancers of the head and neck. He has experience with both traditional open and minimally-invasive procedures, including Transoral Robotic Surgery (TORS). Dr. Monroe believes that the best care comes when a team of specialists works together to create a treatment plan that is tailored to the individual patient. Because of this, he works closely with a team of head and neck cancer specialists, including medical and radiation oncologists, to determine the best possible treatment for each patient.
Dr. Monroe’s research interests include clinical trials for head and neck cancer, risk stratification in thyroid cancer, and survivorship issues following treatment for head and neck malignancies.
Dr. Monroe received his medical degree at the University of Missouri—Columbia School of Medicine and completed his residency training in Otolaryngology—Head and Neck Surgery at Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU) in Portland, Oregon. Prior to joining the faculty at the University of Utah, Dr. Monroe completed a 2-year fellowship in Head and Neck Surgical Oncology at the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.
- Monroe MM, Sauer DA, Samuels MH, Gross ND (2009). Pathology quiz case 1. Coexistent conventional mucoepidermoid carcinoma of the thyroid (MECT) and papillary thyroid carcinoma. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 135(7), 720, 722.
- Monroe MM, McClelland J, Swide C, Wax MK (2010). Vasopressor use in free tissue transfer surgery. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 142(2), 169-73.
- Anderson EC, Hessman C, Levin TG, Monroe MM, Wong MH (2011). The role of colorectal cancer stem cells in metastatic disease and therapeutic response. Cancers (Basel), 3(1), 319-39.
- Monroe MM, Anderson EC, Clayburgh DR, Wong MH (2011). Cancer stem cells in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. J Oncol, 2011, 762780.
- Monroe MM, Cannady SB, Ghanem TA, Swide CE, Wax MK (2011). Safety of vasopressor use in head and neck microvascular reconstruction: a prospective observational study. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 144(6), 877-82.
- Monroe MM, McLean M, Gross ND (2011). Infected tracheal diverticulum presenting as a cervical abscess. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 145(3), 513-4.
- Miller MW, Vetto JT, Monroe MM, Weerasinghe R, Andersen PE, Gross ND (2011). False-negative sentinel lymph node biopsy in head and neck melanoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 145(4), 606-11.
- Monroe MM, Gross ND (2012). Evidence-based practice: management of the clinical node-negative neck in early-stage oral cavity squamous cell carcinoma. Otolaryngol Clin North Am, 45(5), 1181-93.
- Chard R, Monroe MM, Andersen PE (2013). Hyoid osteoradionecrosis associated with carotid rupture: report of 2 cases. Head Neck, 35(2), E36-8.
- Monroe MM, McLean M, Sautter N, Wax MK, Andersen PE, Smith TL, Gross ND (2013). Invasive fungal rhinosinusitis: a 15-year experience with 29 patients. Laryngoscope, 123(7), 1583-7.
- Monroe MM, Myers JN, Kupferman ME (2013). Undertreatment of thick head and neck melanomas: an age-based analysis. Ann Surg Oncol, 20(13), 4362-9.
- Monroe MM, Lai SY (2014). Sentinel lymph node biopsy for oral cancer: supporting evidence and recent novel developments. Curr Oncol Rep, 16(5), 385.
- Geltzeiler M, Monroe M, Givi B, Vetto J, Andersen P, Gross N (11/1/14). Regional control of head and neck melanoma with selective neck dissection. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 140(11), 1014-8.
- Osman AA, Monroe MM, Ortega Alves MV, Patel AA, Katsonis P, Fitzgerald AL, Neskey DM, Frederick MJ, Woo SH, Caulin C, Hsu TK, McDonald TO, Kimmel M, Meyn RE, Lichtarge O, Myers JN (2015). Wee-1 kinase inhibition overcomes cisplatin resistance associated with high-risk TP53 mutations in head and neck cancer through mitotic arrest followed by senescence. Mol Cancer Ther, 14(2), 608-19.
- Lewis CM, Monroe MM, Roberts DB, Hessel AC, Lai SY, Weber RS (2015). An audit and feedback system for effective quality improvement in head and neck surgery: Can we become better surgeons? Cancer, 121(10), 1581-7.
- Monroe MM, Pattisapu P, Myers JN, Kupferman ME (6/12/15). Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy Provides Prognostic Value in Thick Head and Neck Melanoma. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 153(3), 372-8.
- Burt LM, Orlandi RR, Hunt JP, Buchmann LO, Grossman KF, Monroe MM, Shrieve DC, Hitchcock YJ (3/1/16). Function preservation and optimal outcomes—definitive chemoradiotherapy with multi-phase treatment planning for locally advanced sinonasal cancer. Journal of Radiation Oncology, 5(1), 47-54.
- Nam K, Maruyama CL, Trump BG, Buchmann LO, Hunt JP, Monroe MM, Baker OJ (6/1/2016). Post-Irradiated Human Submandibular Glands Display High Collagen Deposition, Disorganized Cell Junctions, and an Increased Number of Adipocytes. J Histochem Cytochem, 64(6), 343-352.
- Orton A, Boothe D, Gan M, Monroe MM, Hitchcock YJ, Lloyd S (11/1/2016). The “decay” of brachytherapy use in tumors of the oral cavity: A population-based patterns of care and outcomes analysis from 1973 to 2012. Brachytherapy, 15(6), 851-858.
- Cannon RB, Sowder JC, Buchmann LO, Hunt JP, Hitchcock YJ, Lloyd S, Grossmann KF, Monroe MM (12/1/2016). Increasing use of nonsurgical therapy in advanced-stage oral cavity cancer: A population-based study. Head Neck Surg, 39(1), 82-91.
- Monroe MM, Buchmann LO, Hunt JP, Hashibe M (2017). The Benefit of Adjuvant Radiation in Surgically-Treated T1-2 N1 Oropharyngeal Squamous Cell Carcinoma. Laryngoscope Investig Otolaryngol, 2 February(2017).
- Sowder JC, Cannon RB, Buchmann LO, Hunt JP, Hitchcock YJ, Lloyd S, Grossmann KF, Monroe MM (2/25/17). Treatment Related Determinants of Survival in Early Stage (T1-2N0M0) Oral Cavity Cancer – A Population-Based Study. Head & Neck.
- Dundar Y, Cannon RB, Monroe MM, Buchmann LO, Hunt JP (4/1/17). Skull Base Invasion Patterns and Survival Outcomes of NonMelanoma Skin Cancers. J Neurol Surg B Skull Base, 78(2), 164.
- Cannon RB, Dundar Y, Thomas A, Monroe MM, Buchmann LO, Witt BL, Sowder AM, Hunt JP (5/30/2017). Elective Neck Dissection for Head and Neck Cutaneous Squamous Cell Carcinoma with Skull Base Invasion. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg, 156(4), 671-676.
- Gardner LJ, Ward M, Andtbacka RHI, Boucher KM, Bowen GM, Bowles TL, Cohen AL, Grossmann K, Hitchcock YJ, Holmen SL, Hyngstrom J, Khong H, McMahon M, Monroe MM, Ross CB, Suneja G, Wada D, Grossman D (10/1/07). Risk factors for development of melanoma brain metastasis and disease progression: a single-center retrospective analysis. Melanoma Res, 27(5), 477.
- Monroe MM, Hashibe M, Orb Q, Alt J, Buchmann LO, Hunt JP, Cannon-Albright LA (October 2017). Familial clustering of oropharyngeal squamous cell carcinoma in the Utah population. Head Neck, Epub ahead.
- Blackburn B, Ganz PA, Rowe K, Wan Y, Deshmukh V, Newman M, Fraser A, Smith K, Kim J, Kirchhoff A, Porucznik C, Hanson H, Monroe MM, Hashibe M (11/2017). Aging-related disease risks among young thyroid cancer survivors. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev.
- Dundar Y, Cannon RB, Hunt HP, Monroe MM, Suneja G, Hitchcock Y (1/22/18). Radiotherapy regimens in patients with non-melanoma head and neck skin cancers. Int J Dermatol.
- Maruyama CL, Monroe MM, Hunt J, Buchmann L, Baker OJ (2/8/18). Comparing Human and Mouse Submandibular Glands: A Practice Guide for Salivary Researchers. Oral Dis, 2018(Jan 30).
- Orton A, Boothe D, Evans D, Lloyd S, Monroe MM, Jensen R, Shrieve DC, Hitchcock YJ (3/2018). Esthesioneuroblastoma: A Patterns-of-Care and Outcomes Analysis of the National Cancer Database. Neurosurgery.
- Dundar Y, Cannon R, Wiggins R, Monroe MM, Buchmann LO, Hunt JP (3/1/18). Orbital invasion routes of non-melanoma skin cancers and survival outcomes. Orbit, Feb(21), 1-6.
- Mia Hashibe, Anne C. Kirchhoff, Deanna Kepka, Jaewhan Kim, Morgan Millar, Carol Sweeney, Kim Herget, Marcus Monroe, N. Lynn Henry, Ana-Maria Lopez, Kathi Mooney (3/13/18). Disparities in Cancer Survival and Incidence by Metropolitan vs. Rural Residence in Utah. Cancer Med, Early View(Online).